HybridZ

very wide 17x14 wheels

I am curiouse to see how the front turns out. I feel like your going to have to cut a ton of the front air dam to be able to turn lock to lock.

The front fender replacements extend 5" past the existing stock fender lip. The tires fit under the fender just fine with room to spare. There may be some minor tweaks, but Im not expecting anything drastic at this time that tells us it wont work.

Removed the front end and fenders. I kinda dig the open wheeled look....oddly reminds me of the slant nose 930 porsche for some reason... 

Ztrix.com is still working on the rear quarters. This kit isn't for sale on his website yet, but will be soon. Im his first with this kit. Will be meeting up with him next week at his shop to do the the fitment and install. Need to cut the rear arches out, but my partner in crime hasnt been able to help me out with that yet. Did drive the car around the block like this, seems to handle just fine. Have some surface rust it looks like I need to attend to as well.

Everything is going swimmingly for a change .... hmmm

post-35613-0-68523800-1424406633_thumb.jpg

post-35613-0-15765100-1424406641_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZGhost623

Front end test fitment... The Gnose isnt even 24 hours old yet from birth, needs another 24 hours or so to completely harden up. This is the first time ztrix.com has ever done this mold with this Gnose. There is some minor quality issues they do need to address with it.. Im impressed on how much of a perfectionist these guys are. The front fenders drop right in like it was made for it. From first look it doesnt look like any modifications will be needed. All the body lines match up great. Keep in mind, the front wheels have a 2" adapter on them to convert to the 5x114 lug pattern. If I get the silvermine hubs, the wheels will tuck in 2" under the body panel.

More to come soon...

http://imgur.com/a/LPDjJ

So an interesting turn of events. Started playing with the rear quarter panels today, and they are not what they should be. Everyone was pretty pissed, but we made some lemonade out of it.

A new plug will be made from what we come up with that will be offered on ztrix.com as a wide body kit. So these so called 'imsa' mold quarters came from zforceproductions who is now out of biz. Anyone who has dealt with them, or knows the history can probably understand why we're having issues. The rears don't even match. One has a very nice bulbous hump to it, while the other is somewhat flat. 

While fitting the quarters on the passenger side, we ran into a rust pocket on the rocker panel that just disintegrated. So the quarter panel had nowhere tie down to on the rocker. I spent all day tearing the rocker off drilling spot welds, while the ztrix guys worked on a new solution. I knew the rocker panel was bad, but didnt know how bad until today. I had the replacement part in my garage for the last 2 years. So with some coaching, I tore it down. Man it was a pain in the ass, hope to never do that again.

Tomorrow (Saturday) we are fitting the front gnose on, and bolting everything up and cutting the rear fenders. Ill end up taking the car home until they have the new molds for the quarters done, which should take about a week Im guessing.

its going to be pretty wild...

post-35613-0-80280900-1425093473_thumb.jpg

post-35613-0-66522300-1425093481_thumb.jpg

post-35613-0-67091900-1425093536_thumb.jpg

post-35613-0-09381500-1425093819_thumb.jpg

post-35613-0-13042500-1425098906_thumb.jpg

Edited by AZGhost623

Make sure you can turn the wheels. With that much scrub the wheels move back and forth in the wells a lot. 

Yeah... so the front has wheel adapters on it right now as a temporary solution. When the wheel adapters go (when I come up with another 500$), the wheel will get sucked in 2 inches. There will be plenty of room at that point. Turning the wheel, it clears fine, but I wouldnt want to do anything serious with the car yet until I get those replaced.

Looking good! A little surprised your car needed a rocker though, since you're in AZ. How bad was it? When I was tearing my Z down, I removed the door sill trim plates, and, surprise, there was nothing underneath them.

The car sat for 12 years out in Mesa, AZ under a pine tree. The passenger side door was completely rusted out at the bottom, and it affected the rocker greatly... it was all rusted out in the rear of the rocker near the dog leg. Good thing is we just welded scrap into that area after the new rocker was in because the new panels will hide it.

Fabricating the panels.

aqeTK94.jpg

rMDZKqh.jpg

r6nZp0J.jpg

DieAmIq.jpg

SQpZh7A.jpg

1ct6HgD.jpg

h6fsFxl.jpg

LH side is considered somewhat complete. Still have to rough it out a bit before it becomes a plug for the mold.

Started on the right hand side after lots of templates and following the same process you saw above. Foaming out the passenger side to get a very very rough shape.

UZUxpc1.jpg

0PoynFE.jpg

Somewhat complete, but needs to continue to be roughed out, and bondo'd. Measured, and finished before it can goto a mold. But you get the idea.

H2ZxSUr.jpg

We are not in Kansas any more toto....

uLy44R3.jpg

If I remember right, I believe these measured out 18" wide from the body. It adds +8" over stock fender lip edge. Oddly these look right at home. The body lines follow great, and they don't look ridiculous. They look really really good. The first thing my wife said was they look very "Porsche-ish". I heard that depending on IMSA rules/year and such they ran up to a +7" fender in the rear from stock lip, so Im not too far off actually from what someone said earlier in this thread.

EFS9rYU.jpg

There wont be any updates for about 2-3 weeks while these are worked, and a mold is made to get the final part. As I understand it, these are just plugs now for the mold, and they get tossed once the mold is done. How crazy, 20-30 hours of work, and then you just toss them out. 

The front fenders need some work after fitting them, so they are getting some changes done to them as well.

See you guys again in a few weeks!

Edited by AZGhost623

New rocker panel installed too. Oddly it fixed my door issue as well. No matter what you did, it wouldnt close right. it touched up in the top left corner to the quarter panel glass. Now its got a proper gap all the way around like the drivers side. The dog leg was still rusted out where it attached to the quarter panel. Just added some metal to that area. Its not going to be seen anyways once this kit goes on. I just needed it that spot for the part to bolt to. Still need to use some body sealer, paint and clean it up a bit. But the hard part is done... it was a chore.. learned more about body work than I ever knew before doing this.

6owKtGR.jpg

Edited by AZGhost623

This is so awesome. Good job! If I'm honest I wasnt so sure you could pull it off given the extreme specs but you are definitely proving me wrong. I love it. Looking forward to seeing everything together.

Heh... no worries you weren't the only one. never underestimate the power of hot rodding and a crazed datsun enthusiast to make it work.. =) 

I am thinking of doing some 1 off flares for my set up but have been looking at lots of cars with flares.  I only have a 11.5 rear wheel with a 315 tire currently but I am thinking of going with a 345.... I am very interested to see how this turns out.

Good work. 

Not much to report on. Got some photos working out the shape....

VJuW5OT.jpg

NswMGsw.jpg

qc5XUOx.jpg

Waiting on some more info, but I'll be working on a setup to make the gnose removable with some pins for easy on/off access. Just waiting on some measurements before I start making the parts. Should be installing parts on March 21st if all goes well.

Instead of screwing them on the car, or using Zeus fasteners, going to be using epoxy to put them on. This stuff was recommended.

OogUThU.jpg

Looks like Senza_Pari is also doing a super wide body as well. talked to him for a bit about his project. Should be interesting to see what he comes up with, as he is quite talented as most you guys know...

He has 18x11.5 up front an 18x13 in the rear. One size up on me!

11055548_410145852500005_1969041961_n.jp