HybridZ

225/50 15x8 et0 Fitment Question

Gents:

First, my apologies for another tire/wheel fitment thread.

That said, I need some assistance. Have a '72 240z on Eibach Springs. I do not believe the shocks are stock but am not certain. Regardless the car rides about 1-1.5" lower than stock. I have searched and searched for some consensus on whether a 225/50 tire will fit with THIS set up. Some threads make me think yes, others no. 

I am looking for any suggestions or advice (pictures are a plus). I plan to roll the fender lip. To my mind, there is no question the tire will stick out of the fender a touch. The question is then whether the suspension travel will let the back end get low enough to hit the tire. Then again, I could be wrong. HELP!!

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Edited by IanL

Don't worry, the main problem people have is when the poster doesn't take an effort to search.

In this case it seems like you put in the effort so no worries.

Without camber on a hard dip you may hit the fender. As long as you have good struts and you don't have a lot of squat it should be fine. If you have a little camber it will help angle the wheel inward to help avoid a rub on dips. A 215 tire will tuck nicely, but they don't make many in the 50 profile, a 205 will tuck really nicely, but not very much tire.

A 225/50 series tire should fit ok - especially since you have Eibach springs which are smaller in diameter that the stock springs. The key is the wheel you mount them on.  Stay with a 7-8" width and an offset that will keep the tire centered between your suspension and the inside of the fender.  I've been running 225/50-16 tires (same width but larger in diameter) for 11 years now and all I had to do is trim the inner edge of the fender lip a bit.  Rolling it would accomplish the same.  In my case, however, I had stock springs so had less room that you have.  Again, it's the wheel that will make the difference.  Get it centered in the opening and you'll be fine.

That being said my car runs at stock ride height.  If you're 1-1.5" lower it will be close. The advantage you have is the smaller OD Eibach springs that allows you to move the tire in just a bit to clear the fenders.  Measure, measure, measure.