HybridZ

Help Needed... Engine wont turn

Hi new to Hybridz.

I just purchased a 1971 240z the other day.

I'm having an issue with the engine not turning over.

When I turn the ignition the engine will click and the fan will come on, but the engine wont start.

The previous owner said that he used a relay to the starter to get it going and suggested running a wire from the positive to the starter.  

This got the engine going and I was able to bring it into my apartment parking.

I'm wondering other than a relay is there another temporary solution to this issue?

I plan to do a engine swap in a couple months so I really want to avoid investing in the L24 right now.

Thank you.

post-47950-0-88291500-1421169321_thumb.jpg

It was my understanding that the 240z never had a relay to the starter???

I guess what I'm trying to find out is if there was a way to do it without the relay.

Correct - the stock early Z Car never had a starter relay.  The starter "signal" comes straight from the Ignition Switch (Black/Yellow).  The addition of a relay is a modification many - if not most - early Z owners have done over the years.  It cures a common problem these cars develop as they age.  TONS written about this on all the Z Car sites.

You can either find the relay and figure out why it's not working, replace it, wire in a new one, or rewire the start signal from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.  A Factory Service Manual may help - you should download one...

(OR...  Always park on a hill or something with a grade, turn on the ignition, put the trans in 2nd, let it roll down the hill, pop the clutch.  At least that's how we did it in the "olden days"...  Meh,, who needs a starter :P )

Edited by cgsheen

Correct - the stock early Z Car never had a starter relay.  The starter "signal" comes straight from the Ignition Switch (Black/Yellow).  The addition of a relay is a modification many - if not most - early Z owners have done over the years.  It cures a common problem these cars develop as they age.  TONS written about this on all the Z Car sites.

You can either find the relay and figure out why it's not working, replace it, wire in a new one, or rewire the start signal from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid.  A Factory Service Manual may help - you should download one...

Thanks cgsheen!

I will look into that. Might just be what i need to do, there is currently an aftermarket ignition on it and its kinda loose, and needs a new steering column cover, might as well rewire the start signal while im doing that.

When I turn the ignition the engine will click and the fan will come on, but the engine wont start.

The starter solenoid is actually a relay.  A point to ponder.  And if there's cooling fan for the radiator, and it's the one that comes on you should probably do something about that also.  Could be that it's drawing too much current to let things work right.  Shouldn't be on all the time anyway.

The starter solenoid is actually a relay.  A point to ponder.  And if there's cooling fan for the radiator, and it's the one that comes on you should probably do something about that also.  Could be that it's drawing too much current to let things work right.  Shouldn't be on all the time anyway.

NewZed that is spot on.  I do think the fan is drawing too much current, which is probably robbing the juice needed to kick on the starter.

any ideas on how to prevent the fan from doing this?  or is this just a consequence of dealing with old wiring?

Yeah, you can put the fan on it's own relay with a temperature switch so it only comes on when the car is warmed up. Doesn't matter much, though.  A new relay for the  starter is really easy to put in.  Mainly you're just keeping high current away from your ignition switch/key and underdash wiring.  I believe there's a straight plug in unit on ebay that you can use. MSA still sells the Replacement fuseboxes for the 240 as well. That's worth it just in the cost of fuses and non cooked wires.