HybridZ

Where to start?

maanlo12

So I've recently bought a 1977 Dark Blue L28E 280Z.
Car has been sitting for about 10 years; I was told the car was stopped in working conditions, but it seems some work might be needed.

Where do you recommend to start work on it before trying to ignite the engine?
Oil and filter change? Spark plugs? Spark plugs wires?

What would be the first thing to look for before running the engine, and the first thing to look after running the engine?

I'm trying to bring back to life this grandpa by this time.

I'll love to build it something near this:

2de3ddbf2ac9adaa568954a11c0e50dd.jpg

If anyone has info about this build ^ please be kind to share!

Thanks for your comments

After ten years of sitting, the oil has drained from various surfaces that need it and there may be some condensed water in the fuel tank and crankcase.  Odds are that the fuel pump has corrosion and won't work, there's rust in the tank to crap out the replacement, there may be surface rust on the camshaft and cylinder walls (some of the valves are open so at least two or three cylinders have been exposed to outside air via the intake or exhaust), and all of the electrical connections are probably corroded, at least a little bit.  So if you want to be somewhat thorough you would pop the valve cover and lube up the camshaft, squirt some oil in each cylinder via the spark plug holes, drain the old gas from the tank and look for rust and water, drain the oil from the engine and look for water, and pull and clean the various electrical connectors, like on the fuel injectors, and the coolant temperature sensor, and the fusible links.  The ECU and its connector can get wet also if the cabin area leaks.  It's in the drip zone.  Let the oil sit and spread for a while, then spin the engine with no plugs to get it distributed.  Then put new fuel in and run the fuel pump for a while to flush out the fuel rail and injectors.  Then put it all together and see if it starts.

That's what I would do, assuming no major rust or damage is found.  If you're lucky it's been sitting in a dry spot, all sealed up, in ran-when-parked condition,  if you're unlucky,somebody left the filler cap and gas cap off and there's water and rust everywhere.  If you want to be really safe, T another oil pressure gauge in at the sender location to be sure you have oil pressure.  If it starts let it run and see what happens.

Suggestions:

• If doing a V8 swap buy the JTR book and read it at least 5 times.
  • Buy a FSM and Haynes repair  manuals for your specific car. 
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Dasun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching. 
  • Focus on searching Hybridz for at least 40 hours as 99% of your questions have already been addressed.
  • Make a detailed plan with parts list including cost.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers - there are many!
  • Remember these are 40 year old cars and will need restoration to be safe and drivable.
  • Join Classic Z Cars website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about modifications  before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions as apposed to the I am too lazy to read/study questions.
  • Have some money. I stopped counting after $12k.
  • Read all of the new member FAQs.

Read, study, plan, execute the plan.