HybridZ

'77 280z Where to Install IAT sensor?

tatertoph

So i'm planning my megasquirt build and I'm confused about the IAT sensor.

The engine is mostly stock L28.  It has a K&N intake and a 2.5 inch exhaust welded onto the stock manifold.   For now I am just doing fuel only.  I'm keeping it n/a for a while too.

I was planning on using a pvc or metal pipe to replace the AFM and install the IAT there.  What should I use to seal on the sensor?  Probably some kind of silicon right?

Is there a better spot to mount the sensor?  I want to avoid welding.

Probably a simple question but I couldn't find much on it.

Thanks 

I mounted mine in the manifold where the cold start injector used to be.  Should accurately reflect air temperature into the engine there, however there is the possibility of error due to heat soaking in from the manifold.  For an N/A setup just about anywhere in the intake should be good.

I agree with Dexter72. I had mine in the manifold where the cold start injector was for many years. I always had issues with hot starts running rough due to the IAT sensor heat soaking in the manifold. Now to be fair, it usually only ran rough for about a minute or two until I could get cooler air flowing through the manifold to get a more accurate air temp reading. I moved it to just in front of the throttle body now and is mounted in the silicone elbow. I don't have many miles since doing this (car has been on stands for last year), but I saw some improvement the few times I did hot start it.