HybridZ

wrx non sti diff in datsun 240z

righteousrags88

Hi, I seem to only find people using wrx sti rear diffs in their Datsun and cant seem to find any info if the the regular wrx non sti diff will work in a 240z. Are they not considered a r180? I can get a decent wrx for $100 whereas an sti one will be north of $400. If you can would it be recommended or is it worth spending the extra coin for an sti diff. All I know is the regular wrx is 3.54 and the sti is a 3.91. Also it looks like Beta motorsports doesn't exist anymore. Where is the cheapest place to get cv parts for the converstion? Thanks

Edited by righteousrags88

There's no single answer to your question....Subaru differentials all vary based on year, model, and options.  And their usefulness to you will vary according to your intended goals for completing the swap.  Here's a couple threads from Subaru forums that contain some great info on the various differentials available over the years:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2597453

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1969700

There are also several threads on this forum by members that have performed similar swaps with their cars.

Regarding stub axles....Wolf Creek is the only vendor I'm aware of for buying new 27-spline stub axles for the R180.  If you decide to go with an R160, you can use factory stub axles for the Datsun 510.  All swaps will require mixing and matching parts, but can be accomplished quite painlessly if properly researched prior to starting the swap.

Hope this helps....good luck with it.

I want to say most of the wrx differentials are R160's compared to R180 for the STI. So anyone looking for a locking diff rarely wants to go down in size stock for the 240z is R180. Some 510 guys run the 160's since their cars came with the 160 from the factory, but most usually step up as well. If you are remaining at stock power levels the R160 might work for you, relatively easy to swap in, and as you mentioned quite affordable and available. Problem is you would have to revisit it when you started bumping up the power.