HybridZ

AEM S2 with stock rb25

joey j

So I'm thinking about getting an AEM s2 but get the car running with everything bone stock. Is that possible? I'm thinking I should do this since I do plan to make upgrades in the future but I don't want to have to swap ECUs and mess with the harness in the future( I'm planning to buy a wiring specialties pre made harness)

I plan on upgrading injectors and manifolds and turbo so I can run a top mount.... BUT the money isn't available for all that right now.

What do you all think?

I say g for it if you have the funds. Aem makes fantastic plug and play stuff for all the sought after engines most of us cant afford lol. best of luck!!!

I would like avoiding that $1700 expense but to my understanding you have to go with a aftermarket ecu if you plan on getting more power out of the rb25.

Can the stock ecu be tuned? I plan on at least swapping out intake manifolds and exhaust manifolds so I can run a top mount. Would I be able to run the stock ecu with those upgrades?

Joey,

You'll at least want the sensors for the AEM (MAP sensor, IAT sensor, and Wideband gauge/controller).  I can get you a package deal if you'd like.

The stock ecu can be fitted with a nistune board or nismotronic (can't help you on that one).  They need internal mods for bigger MAF though.

Also, another way you can go is using an RB20 ECU or a Z32 ECU.  With an RB20 ecu you'll lose the VVT, but the Z32 can be retained.  However, to my understanding with the Z32 ecu, you have to modify a Z32 harness.  On the RB20 ECU swap, you only have to move a few pins.  There's actually a lot of information on Skyline's Australia about both setups, the RB20 is more popular for them though (since there's an abundance of them over there).

Joey,

You'll at least want the sensors for the AEM (MAP sensor, IAT sensor, and Wideband gauge/controller).  I can get you a package deal if you'd like.

The stock ecu can be fitted with a nistune board or nismotronic (can't help you on that one).  They need internal mods for bigger MAF though.

Also, another way you can go is using an RB20 ECU or a Z32 ECU.  With an RB20 ecu you'll lose the VVT, but the Z32 can be retained.  However, to my understanding with the Z32 ecu, you have to modify a Z32 harness.  On the RB20 ECU swap, you only have to move a few pins.  There's actually a lot of information on Skyline's Australia about both setups, the RB20 is more popular for them though (since there's an abundance of them over there).

Z32 doesn't need a harness. You do however have to add just a couple resistors inside and a couple wires inside the ECU (mainly fuel temp sender (since we don't have one) and stub out the knock sensors (cuz RB ones are too sensitive and false trigger), and I think EGR or FICD needs a wire moved).

I used the exact same ECU.

I had an eprom emulator already (Moates ostrich), so all I needed was the ECU ($40 for NA board), socket the board ($10), get a consult cable ($20), and get the nistune license ($200).

Otherwise, the Nistune board/package is a better all in one solution for $515 AU = $406 USD plus whatever the Z32 ECU costs. They are making the software better all the time as well. They now have an injection multiplier which makes injector resizing simple. Nistune is however a just a hopped up stock program mod, so it doesn't have quite the full features an aftermarket ECU would have (little support for boost control, meth injection, launch control, 2-step rev limit, etc.).

I'm almost ready to get on the dyno with my RB. Just need to iron out the LS2 coil swap finishing touches, and get my interior back in.

I am in the process of getting everything hooked up on mine. You will need the MAP and AIT and wideband sensors as mentioned before as well as switch the CAS disc out with the AEM disc. You will want to take your time with the CAS disc swap as it is very easy to damage the parts in the process. Other than that the AEM should be plug and play or at least I am hoping so.

Joey,

I'm going to shoot you a PM regarding that package deal.

Z32 doesn't need a harness. You do however have to add just a couple resistors inside and a couple wires inside the ECU (mainly fuel temp sender (since we don't have one) and stub out the knock sensors (cuz RB ones are too sensitive and false trigger), and I think EGR or FICD needs a wire moved).

I used the exact same ECU.

I had an eprom emulator already (Moates ostrich), so all I needed was the ECU ($40 for NA board), socket the board ($10), get a consult cable ($20), and get the nistune license ($200).

Otherwise, the Nistune board/package is a better all in one solution for $515 AU = $406 USD plus whatever the Z32 ECU costs. They are making the software better all the time as well. They now have an injection multiplier which makes injector resizing simple. Nistune is however a just a hopped up stock program mod, so it doesn't have quite the full features an aftermarket ECU would have (little support for boost control, meth injection, launch control, 2-step rev limit, etc.).

I'm almost ready to get on the dyno with my RB. Just need to iron out the LS2 coil swap finishing touches, and get my interior back in.

This method seems a little more intense which i dont think i can handle. I'll stick with the AEM S2.

I am in the process of getting everything hooked up on mine. You will need the MAP and AIT and wideband sensors as mentioned before as well as switch the CAS disc out with the AEM disc. You will want to take your time with the CAS disc swap as it is very easy to damage the parts in the process. Other than that the AEM should be plug and play or at least I am hoping so.

Let me know how it works out. I have to look into the CAS disc, i hadnt heard of the need to replace that. I hope there is nothing else that would have to be done.

CAS disc install is pretty easy.  You do have to be careful though.  It's pretty much take out the CAS, remove the stock disc, and put in the AEM disc.  

Some are just 1 phillips screw yes. Some are mounted from behind however and the entire bearing needs to be pressed out the other side. It gets quite intensive. 

Some are just 1 phillips screw yes. Some are mounted from behind however and the entire bearing needs to be pressed out the other side. It gets quite intensive. 

Oh really?  I haven't encountered the latter.  That's news to me.  Good to know.