HybridZ

280zxt engine found, but...

So I found a L28ET that's been sitting out in a yard for a while, before that it was completely rebuilt, we're in the process of taking it apart to verify that. The Block is an F54 and the Head is an N47. The question is I have a N/A 280z right now that has a P30 Block and P79 Head. What, if any; would be the best combination of head/blocks for use with the turbo?

I'm sure this L28ET has had a lot of weird stuff done to it, previous owner said it has an after market cam as well... so this will an interesting project.

Edited by Midri

That's not what most people would consider an L28ET.  The F54 block maybe, but the N47 head is a 77-79 NA head.  The P79 head is an 80-83 NA head.  With the unknown cam it sounds like you bought a cobbled together turbo setup.  What other parts came with it?  Engine management, turbo, exhaust system, etc.

What other parts came with it?  Engine management, turbo, exhaust system, etc.

MSD ignition (know nothing about it, previous owner was using it before he totalled his 280zxt), Stock T3 turbo, Stock L28ET exhaust from block to turbo, same for turbo exit. The intake manifold I believe is stock L28ET too as it's an L28 intake with the POV. I know the pistons are dished, not sure if they're aftermarket or not -- look pretty new, Seems the head is the only part that is different.

The 280zx this came out of may not have been a turbo originally though, he had a N/A 5 speed trany he used on it which I received as well.

Edited by Midri

Apparently using the P79 would yield the same compression ratio as using a P90, so that would be closer to a "normal" turbo setup. That said, I've heard of people running the N47 with a turbo and doing alright. If the MSD system is working then you'll probably have a much easier time tuning for the slightly higher compression ratio and be fine. It's really up to you.

What are you planning on running for engine management? That will determine what you should run. if it's going to be stock use the p79 head since it'll be same compression as a p90 and have the same combustion chamber shape. I believe the  both heads have liners which could break off and destroy your turbo  at any time. You should post pictures.