HybridZ

R200 Stub/Side Axle Spline Count Question

~KnuckleDuster~

I've been searching the web for hours and hit a road block. I recently bought an R200 diff out of a 82 280zx n/a 2+2. It's come time for me to source the stub axles so I can bolt up the 280z half shafts. I did a spline count and came up with 29. From what I've read the 240's have 25 and the 260/280's have 27. Everything I've seen related to a 29 spline count is LSD related. What's going on here? All the write ups I've read say the 280z stub axles will swap right over. Am I missing something here? 

I thought all the Z/ZX R200s were 29-spline, regardless of whether the diff was LSD or open.  You can source used stub axles and half-shafts from another 280 which originally came with an R200; or you can convert to CV shafts; or you can buy new OEM R200 stub axles from Wolf Creek Racing for $200 (which is a pretty nice price IMHO).  Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=31

Edited by jhm

I thought all the Z/ZX R200s were 29-spline, regardless of whether the diff was LSD or open.  You can source used stub axles and half-shafts from another 280 which originally came with an R200; or you can convert to CV shafts; or you can buy new OEM R200 stub axles from Wolf Creek Racing for $200 (which is a pretty nice price IMHO).  Hope this helps.

http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=22&Itemid=31

Good to hear. Thanks for the link I might just go with a new set.

• 2 weeks later...