HybridZ

78 280Z Prothane Rack Busning Fitment Problem

Aren't there two sizes - 240Z and 280Z?  Maybe you got 240Z.

I don't know the brand of mine (MSA kit for a 280Z) but I had a gap on my 280Z.  Smaller than yours though.  I greased it up, installed it, torqued the bolts, and drove, and the gap closed.  It's elastic and sees varying loads in use.  It will adjust itself in use.

I double checked the packing and its for a 280Z Part number 14-703. I would not mind a small gap but this is a little much for me. Any pictures you can share of yours?

I may have to check with MSA to see if they carry a different brand than this.

Sorry, it's raining.  And getting dark.  There's no gap anyway, I checked later because it bothered me like yours bothers you.  Mine were black.  I seem to recall that one piece in the kit was from Ground Control but MSA might have sourced from various suppliers.  They came with MSA part numbers, plastic wrapped, in a box.  It was 2009.  The kit was on sale.

That does seem like a pretty large gap and I don't remember mine doing that, but I don't remember what brand I used offhand.

However, the main reason for going to a urethane rack bushing is to get a tighter fit with more bushing "crush", so that you get less rack movement and more precise steering.  It wouldn't surprise me too much if you saw that much gap when you just slip the bushing onto the rack, and the manufacturer's intent was for the gap to close as he half-moon clamp was tightened.  If this were the intent, then it would need to be possible for the bushing to slide a bit on the clamp as it is tightened - in fact in your pic it appears that the bushing might be pinched in the clamp ("bottom" side of the clamp in the pic), which would prevent this from happening and make the gap worse.

I would suggest starting over and applying some of that super-thick bushing grease to both the inside and the outside of the bushings where it contacts the clamp and crossmember, and then try installing again.  Also, make sure you tighten the clamp all the way down until you have metal to metal contact, and watch to make sure the bushing isn't getting pinched. 

Edited by TimZ

Thanks for the tips guys,

Since I live in Texas I figured I try some redneck engineering. I Fippled the bushing since it seemed to fit a little better that way, I took 2 zip ties and tied them on the edge of the bushing then made them as tight as possible. Then I fit the clamps to the specified torque settings and now it looks a lot better. Still has a gap but I can live with it.

post-14557-0-78609200-1431817473_thumb.jpg