HybridZ

Datsun z car wont shut off

McDoogle

Hi guys new here but im kind of stumped so i figured id try and find some help.  I have a datsun 260z that i picked up as a project.  Got the motor running but barely.  Im slowly trying to get it going good. 

Someone had just replaced the ignition key when I got this thing but they didnt do it right.  I got a used ignition switch and installed it.  The car turns on fine now but the car wont turn off.  All the issues i have left with the car seem to be electrical and thats kinda my weak spot.  Anybody know how the car turns off when i turn the key or has anybody experienced this problem?  I dont know how the car actually shuts off.  If i did I could probably make a new connection.  Thanks guys

Edited by McDoogle

To your knowledge, did the engine ever shut off, using the key?  In other words, did you buy a problem or create your own?

Probably had the wiring converted to internal voltage regulation and needs a diode on the L wire.

When i got the car it had this same problem.  However as I stated someone had been tampering with it prior to me.  The ignition switch that the car came with wouldnt crank the car over right.  You had to get it in just the right spot and then it would think about turning over.  Now with the new ignition it works just how it should, however, i noticed it will also turn over on the first click if i let it rest there.  Kinda weird

Probably had the wiring converted to internal voltage regulation and needs a diode on the L wire.

Do you mean that the car probably has an alternator with an internal voltage regulator?  If thats the case the car still has an external voltage regulator and its connected.

Now with the new ignition it works just how it should, however, i noticed it will also turn over on the first click if i let it rest there. 

plus the engine doesn't shut off with the key.

Doesn't sound like it works "just how it should".  I'd focus on the switch.

that problem already exisited.  i dont think its the switch but the wiring.  Idk what to check for though.  It appears someone soldered a red wire to the black and yellow wire and attached it to the starter.  Dont really know whats going on here

that problem already exisited.  i dont think its the switch but the wiring.  Idk what to check for though.   Dont really know whats going on here

Lots of inconsistency here.  If you don't know one, you probably don't know the other.  Check out the wiring diagram in Engine Electrical.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/260z/

The red wire might be for a relay to help the switch.  The 260Z's are known for a starting problem.  " It appears someone soldered a red wire to the black and yellow wire and attached it to the starter."

Also notice you're writing is getting weaker.  Weak thinking = weak writing = weak results.  Best to keep the effort level up, everywhere.

On the back of the key ignition there are five wires.  Do you know where each of these wires are suppose to go?  I didnt see anything in the service manual about that but i think if i knew where those wires went i can figure out whats going on. 

This might help.  From Body Electrical.  You might figure things out faster with a meter though.

Not sure on the letters.  Maybe B = Battery, A = Accessory, I = Ignition relay, S = Starter.  Can't think of an R right now.

Edit - actually those letters may not mean much.  Looks like R powers the coil, and I powers the TIU, for example.  But the schematics in the larger wiring diagrams use them, in a chart.

post-8864-0-98031600-1433735680_thumb.png

Edited by NewZed

these wires

You have a mess on your hands.  Be careful or you'll burn some wires and then you'll really be hating life, especially if you don't know electrical.  Get a meter and learn how to use it so that you can check for power and continuity, to avoid shorts.  There are diagrams and drawings in both electrical chapters that show where the parts are.  But since the engine starts and runs you should leave those other parts alone for now.  The TIU and the ballast resistor and the coil don't matter for your problem.

Here's another source for an easy to use wiring diagram.  http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/74_260z_manual_wire.gif

Here's a copy of the switch schematic.  260Z's are hard to work on.  Looks like the wires switch colors somewhere inthe harness, and they don't show the B, A, I, etc. codes so you'll have to cross-ref to another schematic.  A pain.  

L = blue, W = white, B = black, Y = yellow, R = red.

post-8864-0-21161100-1433740973_thumb.png

You have a mess on your hands.  Be careful or you'll burn some wires and then you'll really be hating life, especially if you don't know electrical.  Get a meter and learn how to use it so that you can check for power and continuity, to avoid shorts.  There are diagrams and drawings in both electrical chapters that show where the parts are.  But since the engine starts and runs you should leave those other parts alone for now.  The TIU and the ballast resistor and the coil don't matter for your problem.

Here's another source for an easy to use wiring diagram.  http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/wiringdiagrams/74_260z_manual_wire.gif

Here's a copy of the switch schematic.  260Z's are hard to work on.  Looks like the wires switch colors somewhere inthe harness, and they don't show the B, A, I, etc. codes so you'll have to cross-ref to another schematic.  A pain.  

L = blue, W = white, B = black, Y = yellow, R = red.

Its like trying to read chinese

K so ive been withholding some information about my car.  The more i hear your responses the more i see that i most likely do not have multiple problems but one central problem.  So let me inform you a little more about the history of the car upon purchase

-Car didnt run(fuel delivery/fixed)

-Ignition switch had been replaced by previous owner(he said it was done incorrect)

-Wire has been soldered to black/yellow wire on key ignition and ran to the starter(has since been put back to normal)

-White wire with red stripe going to alternator has been cut, replacement wire is in its place running from battery to alternator(I have since reconnected white/red wire back to alternator)

-No spark(ran wire from battery to ignition coil and got spark)

-Alternator isnt outputing

My issues I am trying to fix with my car are: start without the jumper wire, have the car turn off when the key is removed, and get power coming from alternator.  Since I am not the wisest when it comes to cars i didnt think there was a connection before but now i am sure there is.  I am assuming the car does not turn off because of my jumper wire and/or alternator problem.  I feel i have made a mess of this thread and i am sorry.  Can anybody give me any suggestions on what I should check?  Thank you all for your previous replies and for the help thus far.  You guys are great