HybridZ

Datsun z car wont shut off

McDoogle

This is why the engine won't shut off.

ya i figured that was why after i read the things you guys had posted.  Thats why I added all the other stuff.  So I disconnected that wire and now instead of trying to get my motor to turn off I am trying to figure out how to make it turn on.  I believe I have a general knowledge of where the problem is and ill post pics and explain

Ok so when I attach my custom wire running from the positive terminal on the battery to the ignition coil I hear a noise by the fuses on the passenger side.  When the car is wired this way i can get it start.  The thing making the noise can be seen in my first picture below.  When I do not have my custom wire attached I do not hear any noise from that same unit when i attempt to start the car.  In fact I dont think i hear anything at all.  I took a further look down at the passenger side feet and i found a few things.  One was a blown 10a fuse although i do not know what it was for.  The second was a disconnected wire seen in pictures 2 and 3 down below.  I replaced the blown fuse, removed my custom wire, and tried starting my car with and without the wire attached seen in pictures 2 and 3 below with no luck.  From what i can conclude there is something wrong with the wiring involved with the item in picture 1.  Does anybody know what the items in the pictures are and does anybody have any suggestions as to how i should attempt to problem solve from here?

post-49895-0-17765800-1433999204_thumb.jpgpost-49895-0-16487200-1433999212_thumb.jpgpost-49895-0-99928200-1433999217_thumb.jpg 

Edited by McDoogle

Does anybody know what the items in the pictures are and does anybody have any suggestions as to how i should attempt to problem solve from here?

Answer:

You need to download a Factory Service Manual (FSM) for your car. It will explain what all of the parts do. Search HybridZ for a FSM.

Get a volt ohm meter and learn how to use it. Use the FSM and the schematic posted above and check each part of the ignition system until you find the problem.

Running hot wires as a test is going to burn  a wire or some component.

Asking what this or that is every few hours is never going to help solve your problem.

You need to study the FSM and the electrical schematic and methodically  go through the car's electrical systems.

People are going to be more inclined to help you if it appears that you have been doing your homework first. Study, analyze and then ask the question.

Sometimes you just have to think real hard:

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason so few engage in it."  

-Henry Ford

Edited by Miles

"Sometimes you just have to think real hard"

I dont like you right now.  I really hate trying to read that service manual.  I never understand what im looking at/what they mean

Edited by McDoogle

"Sometimes you just have to think real hard"

I dont like you right now.  I really hate trying to read that service manual.  I never understand what im looking at/what they mean

By the time you are done with your car project you will understand the manual and you will be a better mechanic. 

The 1974 manual is pretty poorly done.  Lots left out and what's there is hard to grasp.  Open the Body Electrical chapter and read about the Starter Interlock system.  Find the red emergency button in the engine bay and give it a push.  Your starting system may be locked out.  Probably why the PO added all of those wires.

You can't go on though, just connecting wires and listening for clicks.  Eventually your misery will be ended when the car catches on fire if you keep working that way.  If you take the time to learn what the engine needs to start and run you could wire up your own ignition system.  The "custom wire" was a start but it needs a switch, as you've found.

Edited by NewZed