HybridZ

Subaru R160 question

Viva Datsun

So some of you may have read my thread about the R180 from a 720 truck I was trying to make work in my 240z. Turns out I'd need a set of $500 side stubs to get the 27 spline diff to play with the stock axles. Since I'm trying to build this car on the budget of an underpaid carpenter I need a different solution.

I've seen a bunch of R160 diffs on eBay for pretty cheap from mid 90s subarus. They have a 4.44 ratio and a viscous LSD. I know that they're tiny little things, but I've heard of them taking some pretty good power in 510s. I'm pretty much stock in the power department, so I think ill be fine for now.

Before I buy anything though, I want to be certain it'll work. Has anyone here seen this diff that can tell me ill be able to bolt on my stock half shafts?

I've tried searching but all I can find is stuff to do with the STi R180.

If I recall correctly, you will need a set of 510 side axles between the R160 and the stock half-shafts.  Check the 510 forums to confirm this; but otherwise should be fine, and a good bit lighter and more compact than the R180.