HybridZ

Mulsanne's Corner

johnc

Guest Anonymous

I've been visiting his site for a long while now. I love his documentation of srp's (real race cars IMO). Great pics of the cars currently running and you can learn alot from this site. All you guys that have ? on aero and such, check it out.

Go there, check it out and send the guy $1 so he can keep the site up. I did.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Thanks for showing us this again, John. I remember when it was posted on this site years ago.

I just an see it now - it'll take me 100 hours to pour through everything on that site!

Oh... Check this out:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/data.htm

The New Beetle, Audi TT, and 2000 911 all have LIFT at 150 MPH.

The Ferarri 360 Modena has DOWNFORCE at 150 MPH.

Which one would you want to be in at 150?

I bet the 350Z has lift as well, seeing as it's so TT-like.

Thanks for showing us this again' date=' John. I remember when it was posted on this site years ago.

I just an see it now - it'll take me 100 hours to pour through everything on that site!

Oh... Check this out:

http://www.mulsannescorner.com/data.htm

The New Beetle, Audi TT, and 2000 911 all have LIFT at 150 MPH.

The Ferarri 360 Modena has DOWNFORCE at 150 MPH.

Which one would you want to be in at 150?

I bet the 350Z has lift as well, seeing as it's so TT-like.[/quote']

The 2000 Audi TT didn't have the little spoiler on the rear which was causing them tail lift on the Autobahns. I wonder how much the addition of the little 'lip' changed the figures referenced on that site!

Tim

I bet the 350Z has lift as well' date=' seeing as it's so TT-like.[/quote']

i doubt that. Nissan spent alot of time testing and tuning the aero dynamics and downforce of the new Z. also, i don't understand why everyone thinks the new z is a tt rip off. to my eye they share nothing other than a rounded roof line.

The 2000 Audi TT didn't have the little spoiler on the rear which was causing them tail lift on the Autobahns. I wonder how much the addition of the little 'lip' changed the figures referenced on that site!

Tim

Yep, supposedly some people died because of that. I heard about it on a British review program.

I bet the 350Z has lift as well' date=' seeing as it's so TT-like.[/quote']

i doubt that. Nissan spent alot of time testing and tuning the aero dynamics and downforce of the new Z. also, i don't understand why everyone thinks the new z is a tt rip off. to my eye they share nothing other than a rounded roof line.

I wouldn't doubt it, Porsche doesn't slack off either when it comes to putting money in testing, it would be assanine to even imply that they dont, but the car is what it is and the results are what they are. Even full on race teams make mistakes now and then which produce some drastic results.

I guess I just don't care for the lines of either the 350Z, the Audi TT, or the New Beetle. To me if it's not long and voluptuous, it's not visually appealling. I'm not into this "make it shocking" styling at all. Bring back the GTO 250, BMW 507, BMW Z8, 240Z lines on these "new" sports cars and I'll be nicer when I speak of them.

JMO.

On more and more new cars you have to look under the vehicle to see where the R&D and testing effort was spent on aero development. I spent a lot of time under a G35 sedan recently and Nissan designed the resonator, muffler, fuel tank, and panels around there rear wheels to create a flat undertray. Underbody areo is as important and body surface aero.

I dont know the numbers on the new bug, but they basic design was definately not intended for high speeds. The old cars got VERY unsafe at 100+ MPH.

The topside of a 4th gen Camaro is actually pretty decent, just block the air in the front for super high speeds, but I can say at 150 with my suspension it was rock solid stable, not a hint of any kind of twitching at all, and its not even a Vette :)