HybridZ

I threw with Carbs... I've had it....

Mikelly

Took the car to a cruise in tonight and it ran horrible. I retuned and jetted it, and it ran worse... nothing I could do mattered... I've had it. Seems every time I want to drive this Freaking car I have to tweek the carb. I'm done.

Here is what I need from you guys... I'm gonna go with a TBI setup of some sort. I'd preffer to use a GM factory type setup that bolts onto my Victor Jr. Intake, but I'm also up for bolting on a Holley 4DI programmable unit. I need your collective brains and info to help me... What can I do to make my 383 stroker work with FI TBI? TBI is simple, which is one key factor for me... I'm not doing another thing to this car until I swap it to FI... I'm selling the carb, fuel cell and all related parts that will not swap to FI... I'm done this time, and if it takes me 6 months to get it done, I'll let the car sit for six months.... I'm sick of carbs and I'm sure by the tone of this note you guys can tell...I'm Pissed.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Well Mike, first off sorry to hear about your problems, and I hope it takes a lot less than 6 months to sort out. I think you'll be happier in the end with EFI though.

Just a question for anyone, why can't you use a cell with EFI?

------------------

"THE STREETS WILL FLOW WITH THE OIL OF THE NON-BELIEVERS"

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Mike I can't blame you for being pissed. I have never seen anyone have as much trouble with a fuel system as you! No reflection on your abilities, I think there is some basic problem that's just hard as hell to find.

I've been really liking what I've been reading here about TBI. The only thing I don't like is having to burn chips and not being able to laptop tune the thing. Can this be such a hard thing to come up with? I guess most of the aftermarket companies are concentrating their software engineering dollars on the dry manifold stuff.

BTW, what about these new EFIs from Holley, Felpro, Edelbrock, Accel? Aren't these things fairly turn key (hey they all seem to need a bit of tuning, some more than others from what I've read). I know the good ones seem to be really pricey though. That'd keep me away for a while.

Hoping my carb works o.k.,

Pete

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Guest Anonymous

I'm running a stock TBI 305 and I love it.

It's the smoothest idling engine I've ever owned, and even tho it's the low cfm stock

unit, power is good IMO. I also know that there are adaptor plates to run TBs on carb manifolds as well.

Drewz runs dual TBs on a tunnel ram for killer power. He may be a good source of info Mike.

Jeff

Do you have a fairly lumpy cam in it, the reason why I ask is that you may have a problem tuning the setup with EFI . EFI is heavily dependant on vacuum, so EFI cams must be alot milder . One thing to watch for !!

Your intial tuning will take alot longer, and you will probably pull your hair with EFI . End result good gas milage, increased throttle response, runs flawless .

Guest Fast Frog

MK:

Sorry to hear about your malady with carbs!

Before we get into another long long thread regarding TPI, TBI, adinfinitum, give my man

Ron Anderson a call. I'm sure he can get going in the right direction! (970)-667-4239 (at about 8:30 AM Mountain Standard Time-10:30 Eastern Time).

Rick

[This message has been edited by Fast Frog (edited October 02, 2000).]

Sorry to hear about that, Mike. That's the

main reason I didnt go with carbs, I know

they make power, but I dont know JACK about

tuning them! I took the lazy way and went EFI.

Im sure you can use your fuel cell, especially if its got AN fittings on it. You

just need to upgrade your pump, filter and

regulator.

And some other info I heard about lumpy cams is that they can confuse stock knock sensors.

My $0.02, probably worth around $0.005

Good luck!

Owen

------------------

http://www.homestead.com/s30z/index.html

If a lumpy cam is th eissue look to the Electromotive system. They've got a "blend" thing that causes the system to be less responsive to the MAP sensor at low RPM and then slowly bring it online as vacuum changes. This prevents wild swings in the injector pulse as the ECU chases the MAP sensor :-)

Sport and Compact Car just did this to a Subrau and has a NICE article explaining the Electromotive WinTEC software. NOT a cheap system but... Oh yeah - they do TBI too. No reason a cell can't be used with this but I think Mike has his eye on a Fuel Safe cell for top end racing. Me, I'm happy with mine and will use it with a carb until the driveability bugs are gone and then swap to EFI. The TPIS miniRam has my eye as does the GM RamJet and a converted single plane Carb intake. I've not even driven the car with a V8 and I'm already dreaming of turboes and blowers for it! (lol).

Just my experience, I am running Tbi's and all I had to do for the system to run with a lumpy cam was change the way the computer valued the map readings. Hard to explain before my fingers wear my keys into oblivion but Gm is adaptable to larger vacum robbing cams. I am running a 292/292 502/518 and after tweaking it seems fine. I am not finished the setup so all bugs are not gone I am sure!!

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

Guest tom sixbey

hey mike - what kind of carb are you running anyway? - i'm not familiar with your setup. - if it's a holley with VAC secondaries, i feel your pain. - i've got one on my mustang, and i'll never consider another one. - the secondaries are way to slow (in need of new springs), and the thing always dogs the motor with too much gas on a sudden pedal motion... - vaccume secondaries are the worst..

------------------

Tom 6B (73NIC)

"why slam on the brakes when you can slam on the gas?"

[This message has been edited by tom sixbey (edited October 08, 2000).]

Tom, I've heard and experienced just the opposite. On the street, the vac sec can be made to do alot. It's the mech. sec carb that has more problems. In fact, there have been a number of articles in the hotrod/CHP mags lately heralding the virtues of the vac sec Holley. It's all in the tuning again. Those springs in your carb sound too soft. YMMV of course wink.gif.

Tom,

My setup doesn't have a vaccuum secondary. All my stuff is way tunable, which is why I'm having bunches of trouble. Anyway, I have a BG 750 double pumper with a MSD Billet mechanical distributor.

Mike

------------------

mjk

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Tom,

My setup doesn't have a vaccuum secondary. All my stuff is way tunable, which is why I'm having bunches of trouble. Anyway, I have a BG 750 double pumper with a MSD Billet mechanical distributor.

Mike

Didn't you mention their were some v. skilled shops in your area? Sounds like it's been a lot of work to this stage and may be worthwhile giving ~$200 to a v. good shop to tune your carb in. I drove my 327 for 3-4 yrs no a 'free' qjet I'd played with for ages that was so-so but never great. Then bought a new carb and kicked myself for having run a 'free' one on top of my $$$$ powerplant and not having spent some money/effort on that end earlier. Always down to the weakest link in the system and I'd sure like to see you enjoying the great ride you've built. Might be athought. From expenditures you tossed around sounded like the $ was their so hate to see it sit for EFI etc. No matter the system they all require setup/dial-in. Mech. secondaries are generally a little more tune in work from what I understand. They don't have a good tuning manual that came with it at all? (not to raise rested troubles BTW)

Ross,

You would be very correct. I have it in the plans get the car to a very respectable tuner by spring. However, I'd also like to swap it to fuel injection if at all possible and make lots of HP in the process. I know, I know, I want it all, but thats me...

Oh, and the shop I plan to take it to will be way more than $200... I plan to tune on the dyno to the toon of $150 an hour. My buddy with the 426 stroker Mustang had $540 in his tuning and 4 dyno pulls. I suspect that with all the variables I have, I'll have a $700 bill by the time I'm done.

Mike

------------------

mjk

Sounds great Mike to be able to spend for that hp like that come spring,I figured $200 should have it streetable for you now (I learned long ago I'd take a poorly tuned V8Z over most any other car anyday:-) and nail it down at your leisure later on. Naturally if you go EFI may as well only spend that $500+ tuning sticker once and not double it up. Fun thing with the 8's is you can enjoy it at 75% tune and 99% of my weekday driving the other 25% doesn't come into play. (and lately wknds are spent studying, oops, I'm whining again)

good luck with whichever route you take, I'm scouting off and on for a break on the edelbrock EFI system as it'll meet my needs quite well unless some used deal hits me on the head

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Mikelly:

Ross,

You would be very correct. I have it in the plans get the car to a very respectable tuner by spring. However, I'd also like to swap it to fuel injection if at all possible and make lots of HP in the process. I know, I know, I want it all, but thats me...

Oh, and the shop I plan to take it to will be way more than $200... I plan to tune on the dyno to the toon of $150 an hour. My buddy with the 426 stroker Mustang had $540 in his tuning and 4 dyno pulls. I suspect that with all the variables I have, I'll have a $700 bill by the time I'm done.

Mike

hey there, ive got a tpi setup from a 88 camaro for you, everything, wiring injectors

computer, very intact, willing to let it go cheap.....

Yea, but will it support 500 flywheel HP? If so I'm there, ship it and tell me what I owe... I'd love to swap over to FI over the winter...

Mike

------------------

mjk