HybridZ

What is this 1978 280z worth?

Greeko

Hello Guys,

I am humming and hawing whether I am going to pay 4000 US for this Datsun because its in good running shape and the body is relatively rust free.  The engine was rebuilt a little while ago with new gaskets and bearings. 

Is it worth it?

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

post-51654-0-07945700-1451944718_thumb.jpg

post-51654-0-14025900-1451944719_thumb.jpg

post-51654-0-06066000-1451944720_thumb.jpg

post-51654-0-98106200-1451944720_thumb.jpg

post-51654-0-37106300-1451944721_thumb.jpg

post-51654-0-94826400-1451944721_thumb.jpg

post-51654-0-32266400-1451944722_thumb.jpg

The engine was rebuilt a little while ago with new gaskets and bearings. 

Is it worth it?

Pretty vague.  Receipts would be nice.  An amateur installing new parts might be worse than nobody installing no parts.

Fixing the interior will cost a lot.  Make a list of the parts you'll need to get it like you want it and see how much those parts cost.  It's a worn Z car with bad paint, no bumpers, no carpet, and trashed interior.  You'll spend a ton on numerous small parts to make it decent.  On he other hand, if you're looking for something to work on, there's lots of work there.

Assuming the rest of it has rust too and you live in a rust prone area, I'd probably pay 3k, not sure how bad most of them are up there though. 

Everything up here unless you are willing to pay 10k is pretty spotted with rust.

Pretty vague.  Receipts would be nice.  An amateur installing new parts might be worse than nobody installing no parts.

Fixing the interior will cost a lot.  Make a list of the parts you'll need to get it like you want it and see how much those parts cost.  It's a worn Z car with bad paint, no bumpers, no carpet, and trashed interior.  You'll spend a ton on numerous small parts to make it decent.  On he other hand, if you're looking for something to work on, there's lots of work there.

He said there is no receipts but that the engine is running strong.

Edited by Greeko

Everything up here unless you are willing to pay 10k is pretty spotted with rust.

He said there is no receipts but that the engine is running strong.

Personally I am not super worried about the engine because I want to use this as a project start for an RB swap.

I am just trying to get the best bang for buck starter car. I can get one for $800 around here..but its a friggen rusted mess.

This one had sold floors and rockers..just a bit of surface rust from what I saw...

He has all the bumpers and trim for it. I was planning on installing the smaller euro style bumpers anyway.

Thanks for the response. I really appreciate the info.

Edited by Greeko

Is the interior really that expensive?

I priced out new seat covers and carpets totalling $600. The door cards seem good enough and the headliner is also in decent shape... What other little bits cost an arm and a leg?

Really depends on what level of "perfection" you want. You can do it cheap or stupidly concourse level expensive. In the end if you think it's a good car for you and you like it, go for it. It's just work/money in the end.

Thanks man,

I want this as a resto mod not a show car... its going to be driven and never perfect... I am just curious if it seems like a decent deal or if I should hold out for a better vehicle for more money.

thanks guys,

Really appreciate the feedback!

The prices are all over the map for these cars. From 800 for a rust bucket time and money pit to 7500 for a relatively fresh model...

I enjoy working on cars as a hobby and project...I wouldn't want to buy one already restored...but i also want a good value for my resto dollars too right.

Edited by Greeko