HybridZ

1973 Laguna Z / RB25DET project

Hey Guys and Girls!  

So I'm jumping into a crazy project that has been tackled by so many here already!  I first have to thank so many of you for all of your awesome write ups.  Without those I would not even be considering this.  I'm building a 1973 240z.   I'll post up tonight with a little background.  

Hey Guys and Girls!  

So I'm jumping into a crazy project that has been tackled by so many here already!  I first have to thank so many of you for all of your awesome write ups.  Without those I would not even be considering this.  I'm building a 1973 240z.   I'll post up tonight with a little background.  

One thing I would say is that if you're power goals are over what the stock RB25 turbo does, then it's probably wiser to just start with the RB26.

I started with the RB25, but wanting 300-325whp, ended up swaping turbos. Then for better intercooler piping added the greddy style manifold. Converted to Top feed injectors. the list goes on. By the time you factor turbo cost, manifold costs, I could have easily just gone with the RB26. Not to mention the 2.6L would have matched my 260z factory displacement (ARGH!).

Anyways, just putting that out there in case you haven't ordered yet. The RB26 is often $1200 or so more, plus you need the $750 trans (or convert a z32 trans with bell housing swap). But you can sell your AWD trans too.

Good luck with the project!

ps. the best engine distributor I read about in Canada was JDMSource.ca

Edited by mtnickel

One thing I would say is that if you're power goals are over what the stock RB25 turbo does, then it's probably wiser to just start with the RB26.

I started with the RB25, but wanting 300-325whp, ended up swaping turbos. Then for better intercooler piping added the greddy style manifold. Converted to Top feed injectors. the list goes on. By the time you factor turbo cost, manifold costs, I could have easily just gone with the RB26. Not to mention the 2.6L would have matched my 260z factory displacement (ARGH!).

Anyways, just putting that out there in case you haven't ordered yet. The RB26 is often $1200 or so more, plus you need the $750 trans (or convert a z32 trans with bell housing swap). But you can sell your AWD trans too.

Good luck with the project!

ps. the best engine distributor I read about in Canada was JDMSource.ca

Im in the same boat right now. I am humming and hawing between the rb25 and RB26.,  

I live in van, Would I be able to come take a look at your swap? I am just putting together the bits for a conversion. 

Edited by Greeko

Hey mtnickel, sorry for the late response.  I had already ordered a RB25DET and it should arrive tomorrow.  I am on a pretty limited budget and wanted to make sure that I actually finish the car first. (Complete restore)  Then probably add some money after she is running and driving for a year or so.  Thanks for the input though.  I am in the process of stripping down the engine bay and prepping for the RB to arrive.  In a bare minimum, get it running sort of scenario, can I run stock brakes and or suspension?  I have a 1978 280Z that I am going to strip for parts.  It looks like the rear end is a good swap.  Any other specific parts that I should swap over?  thanks for any help of info.  

• 3 weeks later...