HybridZ

Ground Control help

I know this has probably been covered a million times but I'm still have a hard time finding any answers. I'm not sure what strut inserts I should use with GC coilovers for my 280z. I've seen people use mr2 inserts but have not heard any sort of reliability or ride comfort with review with them. This car will be mainly used for cruising and spirited driving. Thanks in advance

I know this has probably been covered a million times but I'm still have a hard time finding any answers. I'm not sure what strut inserts I should use with GC coilovers for my 280z. I've seen people use mr2 inserts but have not heard any sort of reliability or ride comfort with review with them. This car will be mainly used for cruising and spirited driving. Thanks in advance

This answer is on the site. Search.

As a quick shortcut for you, MR2 shocks are used in the event you are lowering a fair bit (1.75" or more I'd say). They are used as they are shorter than the standard strut and allow you more usable travel. You do however have to "section" your strut meaning cut it shorter and weld it back together.

Read up.

If you keep a stock spring rate (140#?) and a replacement quality shock, the ride quality will be stock.  If you use a stiffer springs or stiffer shocks, the ride quality will be more stiff than stock.  225# front and 250# rear is what I have run for years and it is a nice compromise rate. MR2 shocks will get you the ride height that you want, but you will need to section the shock tube to fit the shock insert.

You are correct: MR2 front, stock front shock in rear strut tube. Section to fit. I don't know what year MR2 shock to send you to the parts store for. That section will set you up for the future of you later want to change to Tokicos or Konis and they should fit.

If you find out, please post it-this question comes up regularly, and everybody says: "use MR2 struts!"  Well, the parts guy wants a make, model, year, and accessory package in order to go back to the shelf and actually put a part in our hands.  The devil's in the details!

87-89 AW11 MR2 rear shocks. The 85-86 is different but still an AW11 car.   (though I've also seen them list the proper year from 8/86-89, meaning late 86 built cars. Maybe model year changed mid year).

Tokico Illunima Number BZ3099.

Tokico Blue HZ3099.

It's probably listed in a few more places, but I guess the more the merrier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...