HybridZ

Scary Incident: No Brakes !

So I was travelling northbound on I-95 at 10:30 am Saturday (moderate traffic) about 70 MPH when upon pressing the brake pedal was surprised by no action at all. The pedal went all the way down to the floor! Slowed the car down by downshifting and applying the handbrake and very fortunately was able to get off the interstate and park in a gas station. A bit scared to say the least.

Popped the hood and found the forward reservoir totally empty, the rear reservoir was full, the drivers side rear wheel (on the inside) covered in brake fluid. Once I removed the wheel I found scrapes and a tiny perforation on the solid brake line angle close to the junction to the braided stainless steel hose that leads to the caliper.

post-49397-0-68886200-1457729652_thumb.jpg

After analyzing the situation it seems that the most likely cause of the scrapes (almost looked like someone had filed down the brake line) was the SS line flexing up and down with the movement of the rear wheel and rubbing continuously on the hard line until it finally perforated when I strongly applied the brake pedal Saturday morning. I inspected the other side and found the same situation: scraped hard line at the same spot.

post-49397-0-01882600-1457729632_thumb.jpg

I thought this report might be useful to some who have done brake upgrades with SS hoses (I have an MSA rear disc upgrade and SS hoses) and thus avoid a similar scary situation.

I have now changed the two segments of damaged rear brake lines for new SS hard lines and twisted the flexible braided ss hoses so they won't come near the new lines when the suspension is compressed.

post-49397-0-94249200-1457729669_thumb.jpgpost-49397-0-84972500-1457729688_thumb.jpg

As another note, my rear brake lines looked like yours in the last pic. Covered in underbody spray, as well as dirt and grime. I got some new sticky tires and proceeded to "test" out my brakes only to have the exact same thing happen. Blew a line about 6" away from the T in the back. No brake pressure either, just like you. Luckily no accident either. But It may be a lesson that you may want to address all the lines.

I'm doing my fuel lines as well. 40 years and dirt/grime and rubbing/vibrating at the isolators could mean rust.

As another note, my rear brake lines looked like yours in the last pic. Covered in underbody spray, as well as dirt and grime. I got some new sticky tires and proceeded to "test" out my brakes only to have the exact same thing happen. Blew a line about 6" away from the T in the back. No brake pressure either, just like you. Luckily no accident either. But It may be a lesson that you may want to address all the lines.

I'm doing my fuel lines as well. 40 years and dirt/grime and rubbing/vibrating at the isolators could mean rust.

Excellent point! Will do.