HybridZ

More blinker nonsense.. Any advise?

I have a 77' 280z 2+2 ls swap and having some issues with hazards and turn signals. I've searched just about every forum but can't get to my exact problem so bare with me. I just bought the car a few months ago and haven't driven it yet (it needed some tlc).

When the power is on I only have left turn signals but flip the hazard switch and only the right work. So far I've replaced all fuses, new turn signal switch, new flasher(s), cleaned the hazard switch, and all new bulbs. Hazard switch off there isn't any power to the right side indicators when the switch is in the right position but work completely fine on the left. When I flip the hazard switch the right come on but there is no power to the left.

I'm sorry for asking such a noob question and I do have a wiring diagram at my disposal but I'm still left scratching my head. Any advise would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Could be the turn signal switch. The internal contacts become bent or corroded and the signal stops working.  You can repair it.  Search for turn signal repair/not working etc. there are several threads with precise instructions for repairing the TS switch.

Before removing the TS switch check each function with a volt meter.  If you find a dead connection that will give you a clue as to which contact is at fault.

Note small parts and springs that bounce about when the TS is opened up.

I'll check my bookmarks for a how to thread.

https://fiddlingwithzcars.wordpress.com/2012/12/04/turn-signal-repair/

Edited by Miles

Have you checked the bulb holders? They can become unsoldered sitting in the front of the car vibrating for many years. Run a continuity test to see if there is a connection from each bulb circuit, also the hazards and the turn signal are on different circuits so be advised that they won't be sending power down the same wire if memory serves correctly.

Do the indicators on your tach blink at all?  If so, does their blinking match the operation of your actual lights.  For example, left indicator blinks with left turn signal but not with hazard, right turn signal indicator blinks with hazard but not with turn signal.

I probably should have mentioned that the dash is currently out of the car. Before I pulled the dash nothing worked expect the fuel level gauge. I ended up pulling apart the turn signal switch and it looks good, no corrosion oand greased accordingly.

As per the blue holders I'm not entirely sure they would be it, even though all of the lenses are not broken. There is power going to all 4 corners of the car, just on different circuits. Only the left side works with the blinkers and only the right side works with the hazards.

Check resistance across these locations.

Pin 2 at the Hazard Switch ----> Pin 10 at the Turn Signal Stalk.  Should be Green w/ Red stripe at both locations

Pin 3 at the Hazard Switch ----> Pin 11 at the Turn Signal Stalk.  Should be Green w/ Black stripe at both locations

You should get low resistance across both of those.  Ideally 0 ohms.  I have a feeling that you won't get that though.  If that is the case, then there is a break in the line somewhere and you will just have to find it.  

To clear this up, what do you mean by new turn signal switch? As in one from another vehicle? Or a NOS switch?

It can look fine, but once you take it apart and roll the rocker and look for scorch marks that is what is going to be telling like the video miles posted.

Is the action on the turn signal crisp? Or kind of mushy? That will also be telling.

The connection for the switch is actually really easy to access as it is just soldered onto the pack of the particle board that makes up the back of it. Power goes in the center and then out to either the left or the right based on the stalk position. This should be very easy to see with a multimeter set to voltage. If it is not going out of the switch then the switch is the problem.

It is pretty easy to check the bulb holder, unplug it and run continuity from the plug end to the bulb socket while giving it a wiggle if it comes and goes it is desoldered. If it is not the bulb holder, then it is the wiring harness or fuse box. 

Eliminate the possibility for each one and you will find your problem.

Alright, since half of your lights are working on each switch, you know the power supplied to the switches is good.  Personally, I would just unplug each switch and jumper the appropriate wires to manually activate the left and then right turn signals.  If you can't manually cause the lights to activate, then there is a problem elsewhere.  

For the turn signal switch, unplug it and do the following:  

Jumpering the black/white to green/red should make your left turn signals operate, which you know work. 

Jumpering the black/white to green/black should make your right turn signals operate.  If they work now, you know your turn signal switch isn't working.  If they still don't work, then your problem is elsewhere, and I'd say check the resistance of the wiring between the switches for the green/black wire.  

For the hazard switch, unplug it and do the following:

Jumpering the green/blue to green/black should make your right turn signals operate.  

Jumpering the green/blue to green/red should make your left turn signals operate. 

Same deal as before except your right turn signals should definitely come on, since you know they work via the hazard switch.  If the lefts now work, you know the hazard switch is the problem.  If not, then again check the resistance of the wiring between the switches except this time, you care about the green/red wire.  

It's the hazard switch.  Rebuild/resoldier all the connections to the hazard switch,  for some reason they ran all the blinkers through the hazard switch, so when you have a bad connection it  chokes the whole system.  I've seen this on multiple S30's.   You can test this by using a set of alligator clips and jumping the connections according to the FSM and you'll see your blinkers will behave..  See Namor's above...

Phar

Edited by Pharaohabq