HybridZ

Fuel lines

OK you hot dogs pushing 4-500 hp. How big of a fuel line do you need to accomplish the delivery. Can the stock tank be re-plumbed or is a fuel cell an easier solution. I'm running the 140 series Mallory(is that a bad word now?) so I'm pretty sure it can feed the engine lots more than it currently needs. I've been straying to some supercharged/turbo 90 degree v6 sites with some amazing engine combos. 0-60 in the 2s and sub 11 sec. 1/4s w/3500+lbs! People claiming 600 hp (very questionable), but some fun info. just as well. Got me rethinking my boost and rpm combo. Not to mention the bottom end of my engine! Intercooler! Gas, I need more gas!

John Scott

• 1 month later...
Guest Fast Frog

John:

I might be a little "late to the dance" with this but my 400-450HP set up uses stock fuel tank (76 Z), Bosch 300 lb/hr (55 gpm+)fuel pump, 3/8" fuel feed, 3/8" fuel return to the stock metal tube fuel return at the fire wall. I'm running Bosch 30 lb injectors fed by a TPIS mini-ram fuel rail system thru an adjustable fuel reg set at 50 lbs. This is good for up to 500+HP. If you need more!!, Paxton and Vortec SC,s have "T-Rex" size systems capable of HP up to 1000+.

Beware, you can get away with much smaller line when going EFI, It is actually better for the amount of line pressure! But for 400HP in a carbureted vehicle, you must use 1/2 inch line minimum... there is a good link out there somewhere to Mallory's tech site that specifies what size line to use and what issues will come up if you don't!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• 9 months later...

Talking about fuel lines, loss of pressure and pressure fluctuations, pumps cavitating, etc. ... I was wondering if folks' experiences are different for mechanical fuel pumps.

My engine is mounted to the frame rails, rather than the steering crossmember. One advantage in doing this is that there is no interference with the stock mechanical fuel pump. Since the engine is presently not much different from stock, I left the stock mechanical fuel pump alone.

I have a "Triangle Engineering" 20 gallon aluminum fuel cell with foam (not a wise decision, to say the least!), vented with an auxiliary tube through the filler lid. There's a 3/8" steel line from the fuel cell to just behind the fuel pump (that is, 6" from the engine block), then a 3/8" rubber line to the pump, and a 3/8" hard line to a cheapo T-bar feeding a 750 cfm Holley 4160 carb. No fuel pressure gauge yet, but I doubt that static pressure at the carb inlet is above 5psi. There is no return line.

Things are OK if the fuel cell is at least 1/4 full (intermittent fuel draw otherwise, and it's nearly impossible to start the engine). But, my engine has never been north of 3000 rpm! I wonder what amusements await. :-(

Guest Anonymous

Not to totally disagree, but I think it was mentioned in another post, many of the big block chevy's in the camaro's and others didn't use fuel line near that size (maybe 3/8 max) and they easily made 400 hp. (the 427's probably MUCH higher)

I'm sure larger is more optimal than they used, but not necessarily at that power level. Just a opinion of course.

Respectfully,

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited March 27, 2001).]

Lone, as an avid reader of CarCraft (hot rodding on the very cheap) they have almost always advised 3/8" line is sufficient...Hrm, I would think 1/2 line is good for applications over 500hp? I'll go back and check it out when I get up from relaxing...

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Davy, I'd really like to know. I suspect that a good portion of all the fuel a .5" line supplies hits the regulator and turns right around and goes back via the return line. Just a observation, and no, theres nothing wrong with that, at least you know your not starving for fuel.

Lone

Gee, I realize that I have about FOUR years of CarCraft issues here, not including Hot Rod, Hot Rodding, etc. I shouldn't of shot my mouth off like that, Lone. To sum it up, though, you are right--the 3/8" line can support a modified 455 Buick motor, with (I'm guessing here) 450hp. They said to use 3/8" and that would be sufficient, even for that motor. What HP does a 455 have anyway once it is modified? Has to be at least 400-500hp. Sorry I can't find the article right now, but I still concur with your opinoin.

David smile.gif

I just got my 1/2 alum fuel line from summit now after reading the posts maybe I should have gone with 3/8.

Another question is where is everyone running the lines?

Same location as old or new location?

Any info on location would be great.

I'm running 355hp ZZ4 motor.

Thanks

Adam

Guest Anonymous

Adam,

As I said, the .5" line definately won't hurt, if your running a regulator what it doesn't need will just go back through the return line. I guess I'm just anal about going to big on things and spending more than I have to, which is probably ok, unless you want to increase HP considerably in the future at which case, I'd be stringing new lines and others would already have them. Penny foolish perhaps...

Lone