HybridZ

Oil Cooler or No Oil Cooler

I'm going through a series 1 240z that i bought not to long ago and it came with a aftermarket oil cooler that some one had installed in the past. The installation is not that pretty but I'm wondering if I should keep the oil cooler on the car or put it back to stock. Not running a Turbo or mods. Is this cooler worth having and that benifical? I already have leaks in the oil hoses that I have to repair and I thought about just removing the whole set up. Thoughts?

Oil Coolers are not needed or wanted unless you have really high oil temps. 200 degrees is best for lubrication and least drag internally. I would only use it if my temps exceeded 205-210 F .... This is assuming your just talking a Street car ,but this is the guild lines we use on our raced Z cars in C production .

Steve

Ok that's what I was assuming. Far from a race car here. I believe the prior owners used meth according to the Tow yard where I found this car. I am finding alot of tweaker wiring and this oil cooler was installed half ass. I thought about cleaning up the install and keeping the oil cooler but I got to thinking if it is really necessary to keep on this stock car. I will be removing it.

If it's half assed, probably doesn't have a thermostat either. A thermostat will at least allow the oil to get to operating temps. WIthout one, the oil won't lubricate as well. That stupid JDM trend of the big oil cooler with the too long braided lines hanging out the front is really a problem for me too. The slightest collision is risking an oil fire.

I'd say add a thermostat to it, and clean it up.  It's not really needed on a NA street car, but hey, every bit helps.   The flip side though is much more fittings to check.  Mishimoto makes a sandwich styled adapter.  Let me know if I can price one for ya.

• 3 weeks later...