HybridZ

12v brake booster vacuum pump

The bmw straight six engine I'm installing,http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/122185-m-powered-z/

doesn't lend itself to pulling vacuum from it for the brake booster so I was thinking about installing 12v vacuum pump to supply vacuum. I have never done this before but I know some european manufactures do this all the time.

Any advice is welcome, not sure how much vacuum is required by our boosters.

Thanks,

Chris

Yeah mine only comes on with the brakes applied. It works nicely that way. I've never experienced a hard pedal that way. The booster holds vacuum so there's usually vacuum still on from the last time I drove. You can get fancy and have a canister with a vacuum switch so that it only turns one when vacuum drops.

The rather expensive vacuum pump I had in my street 240 has been moved over to the 240 race car. The street car has just a vacuum canister now while the race car with a CR of 13.7:1 is in need of a bit more vacuum. It is mounted on the battery stand with the relay just above it to the left.

Works fine but is loud. How loud? Loud enough to be heard in a completely stripped out interior with twin trumpets, no mufflers, custom ear plugs and a helmet..

post-311-0-78005700-1472943586_thumb.jpg