HybridZ

240z engine compartment dimensions

We are getting ready to install new engine compartment frame rails in our 73 240z. I have seen one diagram from the FSM with some frame dimensions that are helpful. Are there other resources available to help us locate the frame rails on the firewall? The firewall is shot and has to be rebuilt so it's not much help. The existing rails were all rot as well. We are also replacing the radiator support so it has to be properly located as well. Thanks in advance for any help.

If you want to see our challenge check out www.projectbundy.weebly.com, it needs to be updated but will give you an idea of the challenge we have taken on.

I had a friend who lived in Bundy's old house. It actually is still used as a rental property near the university.

That is quite the road you have ahead of you.

The FSM is probably your best bet. Ideally your jig will bolt up to the important chassis points (trans, rear mustache, front cross member mounts IIRC) and square those points out, then it would just be a matter of keeping the spacing even. The only things that bolt up to the engine frame rail is the cross member and the tension arm, the real question will be if the strut tops are correctly located as those in relation to the cross member will affect your alignment.

Both rails are now out. I did however mark the elevation of the driver side rail before removing it. That may be all I need to locate and square up both rails since I assume they are to be perpendicular to both the firewall and the radiator support as well as level relative to the car.