HybridZ

Need a map to get it running

MerloZ

Hello. Im fairly new to the forum but i need help with my megasquirt.

I restored and engine swapped my 260z and its finally time to get her running.

I bought and assembled my megasquirt. I also made my own wiring harness with DIY's harness. Im almost positive i havnt made any mistakes along the way however the actual tuning part of the ms2 boggles my mind and i have no idea what im doing. I need a map that i can get my car running on for now. It is a stock block with a fresh rebuild, p90 head,stock distributor with DIY' trigger wheel. stock turbo injectors, stock turbo and psi, 240sx throttle body and tps, walbro 255lph inline fuel pump, i have bypassed the fuel pressure regulator for now as it wasnt allowing fuel though. I have messed arounf with some other maps i found on the forum but none of them are perfect. I want to say my firmware is the latest for ms2 extra. i belive i have the pcb 3.0. i will atatch the tune i found and am looking thru.

Anything helps thankyou.

CurrentTune.zip

You need to fix that regulator or atleast put a pressure gauge inline so you know what the fuel pressure is...

The maps are not going to be perfect, just pick a map that is close to your engines set up and input the settings into which tuning viewer you are using. They should be close, to get your engine started.

You should read the tune your megasquirt section, so you know how to start tuning the engine without some of the other inputs adding fuel you don't want added.

I like to suggest using starting fluid to help get the engine running, less of a chance of fouling your spark plugs with it..

Install a wide band setup if you have not done so..  Get the engine to run and idle before installing the wideband sensor.. You could ruin the sensor with too much fuel..

good luck

I have many intake manifolds i can rob another regulator off of if i really need it right now. I have an lc-2 wideband and gauge but its not connected to the ms2 so it doesnt mess with any of it yet.

And how do i go about swapping the settings from one file to another?... can i not just open the downloaded file?. Is that cause the versions dont match?. How do i open the downloaded tune just to view and then copy it to another file?. Do i have to like adjust any like TPS settings to get that correct cuz i think this tune was using the MAP sensor instead. Thankyou for the reply. I just need it running then i can go from there but its hard to adjust tune settings without it running you know.

Thankyou

Today was very unsucsessful. I tested for spark and fuel. Not getting fuel but i hear the injectors ticking. Anyway. I realised that the map foes not match my firmware version. 3.4.2 so i assimed thats part if not all of the problem. I go to change it and all of a sudden my ms2 is failing to connect no matter what i do. I spent 3 hours troubleshooting today and got no where. Smh

You shouldn't need someone else's maps just to get it to fire up, but if that's what you are trying then just create a new file and manually input timing and fuel values from someone who has posted pictures of their maps online.  

You do need someone else's map to start up. They input values that makes sure your engine won't run on a fresh file to prevent you from trying to just start up and go without going through all the settings.

Find an L28 map and copy over all the values. I would be hesitant to try and load a full tune as they can have a different setup and you'll have to chase down each setting manually to find the culprit.

The regulator won't let any fuel through until it hits a certain psi range. Are you getting that value? By bypassing the fuel pressure regulator your injectors are not going to have any pressure behind them to inject any fuel. You also want a rising rate regulator, so it really isn't a matter of taking it off a variety, you preferably want it off a turbo car, unless they weren't that sophisticated back them. I don't recall with the stock 280zx setup.

Did you test them in test mode or did you test them by trying to run the car on an incompatible tune? Kind of making me worry here.

By maps, I really meant full tune because you need to check every setting anyway rather than just hoping their setup matches yours.  But really, you shouldn't even NEED the timing or fuel maps from someone to just get it fired up.  It is just helps get a little bit closer a little bit quicker.  If you are completely dependent on getting someone else's tune, I would recommend reading and learning more. 

Thankyou for your replies they all have helped. I now realise my fuel lines were backwards so the fuel wasnt even getting to the injectors thats why i bypassed it. It is a turbo cars regulator its the stock one. This all makes sense i just kinda needed to be guided on what to do but i know enough to actually do it. I copied a full tune onto a new file 3.4.2. But i am now having actual ecu issues possibly fried something in it. I am emailing matt from DIY. Trying to sort it out and then i will try to fire it again.

Thankyou a bunch fellas