HybridZ

How do I check if my cat is plugged?

madmanadam

Help,

This is a non Z item but it is a V6 2.8 Chev.

How do I check to see if the cat is plugged?

I did a vaccum test and it read a even 16 then I

brought it up to 2500 rpms and let go, the needle

went from16 to 20-25 and then back to 16.

Can any one please tell me what is going on?

When I 'm on the freeway it take all got to stay 60mph. It kicks in and out of over drive. By the way this is a s-10 4x4 blazer.

Thanks alot

Adam

Not really familiar w/the blazer confirguration but I & my family have had toyota's in the past where we have thought the cat.converters were stopped up & it turned out to be the "Pre"converters...yes that's right. The pre-converters were stopping up giving exact symptoms of a bad converter.

Be sure your fuel pump (manual?) is not bad? How bout a fuel filter? I once had a fuel pump diaphram go bad that was still functioning enough that it pumped fuel but allowed fuel to also enter the engine's crankcase. This caused me to lose power...& luckily it was discovered early enough that my engine didnt impload as the crankcase was literally filled w/fuel icon_eek.gif

Check the simple things first; tune up items including fuel pump & filters. Dont forget the Air filter. If the air filter is neglected & filthy-it will impede airflow & also give the same symptom you've described.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

My friend owns a muffler shop and there are quite a few customers that want to know if their cats are clogged up. So he just puts a hole right before the cat and lets the customer test drive the car to see if it gets more power. Sometimes he'll put small holes in the front and back of the cat with a torch and takes a visual check to see if the substrate might be melted inside causing the exhaust flow to back up or clog. I'm sure a local muffler shop can check it somehow for you. My friend never charges anybody to have their cats checked. Good luck.

You may want to try disconnecting the pipe just before the cat and going for a test drive if the symtoms remain you just eliminated the exhaust system I had a car in the shop a while back with the same problem. We tried a tune up with no avail found out that the inner pipe on the resonater had collapsed and pumped a ton of fiberglass into the muffler took me a while to figure that one out!! Keith

Adam,

I had the same trouble with our 4.3L Blazer...It turned out to be the EGR Valve sticking... Pull that and clean it first before you screw around with the Cat... Search elsewhere here for my many horror stories about the Blazer from this past summer...

Mike emo.gif

Guest Anonymous

I know that the 4.3L Blazers, and maybe the 2.8L, had an electric switch that engages the final overdrive gear in the auto tranny. That switch will go bad and can engage/disengage rapidly. Also, my Blazer had to have the tranny rebuilt and the overdrive band was toast so it didn't do well over 60mph.

Also, I had a Suburban that had a partially blocked cat. The truck would start and idle fine but would stall upon take-off or when going uphill. I had performed a tranny fluid change at the same time and thought I did something wrong. Spent 3 days on it. Turned out that a couple of the plates in the cat turned loose and would roll to the back and block the exhaust on acceleration. When the truck stopped the plates would settle back out and open the exhaust. Drove me nuts!

Guest Anonymous

I had a samurai that plugged a converter up and it wouldn't pull rpm's at all. I limped it home by short shifting it, but it wouldn't pull above 2k at all it would just choke off like you had an orange stuffed in the carb or something.

Not sure what year the blazer is, but manufacturers are required to replace converters for something like up to 5 years after sale, its part of they're promises to the government in regards to smog equipment durability.

That hunting in and out of OD is what turned some people off to the OD tranny when it first came out, it wasn't uncommon. I'm sure there are lockouts or some sort of modern solution via like B $ M or several other aftermarket companies.

Regards,

Lone

Thanks for all the replies.

I just bought this thing as a toy (1987).

It has 251,000 miles on it and the person

I bought it from said the motor/trany/transfer

was replaced. The exhaust leaks right before the

cat. There is not a spot of grease or dirt anywhere on the truck. Very clean.

I will check the filter, pump and egr.

Thanks again

This site is awsome.

Hi, all

Well I took the cat off and looked in side, you can see right through the thing. Looks like something is missing in there.

I pulled the EGR but looks just fine to me. I pushed on it and you can hear and feel the air through the hole.

Pulled the fuel filter and one way the gas would run out the other side the gas stayed in, blow on it and gas came out.

How do you tell if the EGR is bad?

Sure glad I got this rig for a good price. Its taking money from my Z-car icon_sad.gif

Thanks again

Adam

I don't think that the EGR's rattle or make noises. Isn't that the pcv valve that goes to the valve cover, which you rattle to hear for noises? I have read previous posts about inspecting pcv valves and learned that it should rattle or make noises when shaken. Pretty sure. Would like to know. J icon_biggrin.gif

Hey James M. We're learning ourselves and the only way really, is to ask and find out. We just looked over some previous posts and they did mention to shake the PCV valve to hear for rattles. Just learned that one ourselves. Learning something new everyday.

twak.gif J & G

Well, This is what I have done , replaced the exhaust, needed it, checked out EGR ,was ok. Replaced the fuel filter.

Took it for a drive and all is the same.

Going to try to unplug the torq.

Runs quiet, smooth, just no real go.

Now get this, If I turn on my lights I get no dash light till I open my door, then I get dash light. shut the door and lights go out, Go figure.

Sure glad I got this for a good price, but its taking time away form my Z icon_sad.gif

Thanks

Adam

Guest Anonymous

quote:

Originally posted by blueovalz:

When my cat got pluged, I found out it was caused by a little plastic lizard he ate. After the vet opened him up, removed it (or most of it), sewed him back up, and my cat was a-poopin in no time.
icon_biggrin.gifweird.gifugg.gificon_biggrin.gif

Heh, ya beat me to it... I was going to say check the literbox, no output, cat is plugged... Warped minds think alike I guess... icon_razz.gif

Regards,

Lone

Watched a video in auto class last nite and they mentioned this! The only thing they said to do was rev up to 2K, and take foot off gas. If the tach needle drops in steps instead of smoothly, then there is an exhaust restriction. You've probably already done this though...

Owen