HybridZ

RB26DETT '73 240Z pic, tell me what you think!

Hi all, here is link to a pic of my '73 RB26DETT 240z. I'm in Perth Western Australia. Some specs of the car are:

1)R32 Skyline GTR RB26DETT engine

2)single Garrett GT40 ball bearing turbo on 3)custom tuned length manifold

3)full lenth stainless steel exhaust

4)Autronic SM2 ecu with antilag and traction control

5)Brembo 4 spot calipers from a Porsche 993 twin turbo which grip BMW 8 series 330mm rotors at the front and Z32 300ZX rotors at the rear

6)R200 diff with KAAZ 1,5 way LSD centre (they make parts for Nizmo)

7)Moly cage tower to tower

8)Subaru WRX power steering rack

9)vernier cam gears ++ lots more!!!

drop me a line and tell me what you think.

click on this link:

http://www.240z.org/photopost/index.php?photo=349

You can post your replies and questions here or at nguyenxcuong@hotmail.com

Guest Zpeed

VERY VERY nice

is that how it is now, not finished etc...

or is it finished...

is the cage the only body re-inforcement you did

looks very very good

thanks for the pic

Hi Zpeed and Racerx, I'm glad you like my project!

Zpeed: the car is not yet finished yet as I'm doing a double degree at the same time! It is almost ready to crank as most of the ecu wiring is completed. The roll cage is the only structural thing that I have done(if thats what you're asking ie. no chassis rail enforcement!), but it is fully stiched along the inner rocker panel, and braced side to side along the back of the seat area, it also extend into the front strut tower area as seen in the pic. After the mid semester exams I'll do a heap more and it'll go to the trimmers after that, home stretch, nearly finished!

RacerX: at the moment I dont have a scanner to post the pics that I have, will try to buy one soon. The brakes are aluminium, they come from a 993 twin turbo Porsche. As the power steering, I want a car which is nice to drive to events, compete and hopefully win, then be able to drive home in comfort, not tow it home! The WRX power steering is progressive so its good especially with 235 17s!

Hi Ron, the intercooler that I'm using was actually custom made to suit the car. It measures 550*300*70mm. The end tanks have been casted from a factory Skyline GTR intercooler. This end tank design has very good angles which enables the air to have optimum flow.

Hi all, thankz for the replies.

Owen> sure, more detailed writeups on Brembo brake upgrade and WRX power steering coming up,(as soon as I get a scanner to upload photos)

I'm also gathering info on other owners that have done RB conversions as I intend to start a web page for RBZEDS in the future.

Take care, Cuong Nguyen

Guest Anonymous

that is awesome!

i've got an rb20det in my zed and it utterly flies.. so i can only begin to comprehend what this beast is going to do when its on the road!

very nice job!

nice with the brakes too.. what calipers have you got on the back? as i've got 300zx rotors all around but only stock calipers (yes.. very strange) and was looking to upgrade to some nicer calipers! as they're really letting it down!

very nice job tho!

Hi all,

RickS and others> I will get around to upload pics and more detailed write ups as soon as I finish my 5 exams!!

Will> the calipers are Brembo all round from 993 Porsche as stated above, front rotors = BMW 8 series, rear rotors = Z32 300ZX.

Super280Z> I have talked to Stony about my car, his has done a 11.138@121mph and its a fairly stock engine!!! I think that itself is in the supercar zone, I'm not sure what my modified RB26DETT in a S30Z will do!!!

looks absolutely amazing,

Im currently in the very early stages of something similar (early stages as in, bought a 1971 Z last week).

Im looking to plop in a Naturally aspirated Rb30 with a twin cam head from either rb25 or rb26...

A lot of fiddling about and hopefully should have a monster of a N/a engine.

Post more pics and info !!

oh and im in sydney Oz.

cheers,

• 8 months later...

Pictures, we definately need pictures. I would think not only pictures on the entire process but specifically possibly an indepth write up on the steering rack.

I can only imagine how nice an older Z would be w/power steering-regardless of which engine is in it.

Umm, Austrailian Steering Rack? Dont ya'll drive on the wrong side of the road :D would that effect the Steering rack's installation...guess we could just use a steering rack from the States as everything on the USA WRX rack would merely be reversed from an Ausie WRX rack(?).

In swapping the rack was shortening the tie rod ends all that was required? I must confess this steering rack swapping is not my strong suit :oops:

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

oh by the way. i dynod at 392 rwhp at 15 psi booste and 680cc injectors. increased my mph to 127 but slowed to 11.2 due to a 2.0 sec 60foot trying no to break a halfshaft ;>

here are some pics of cuongs car

1898Picture_020_SK-med.jpg

1898Picture_019_SK-med.jpg

1898dsc01236j-med.jpg

you can see more at 240z.org just search for cuong in teh gallery

Guest Zachb55

hey, didnt really notice at first that the engine bay view isnt a newer pic... but now i can tell that in the other you have your plumbing and air filter in place, so my question is you got a recent bay pic coming soon? i sure hope so, man, what a project, i can only hope my 2JZ looks that pretty.

-Zach