HybridZ
idiot280

San Luis Obispo County...Anyone?

I recently moved to Templeton, Ca, and am desperately looking for anyone into Datsuns or classic Japanese cars. If there is anyone interested in meeting, trading, buying, selling, drinking...let me know!

Morro Bay, Grover Beach, Cayucos, Shandon, Paso Robles, Arroyo Grande, Cambria, Oceano, Lake Nacimento, Atascadero, Templeton, Avila Beach, San Simeon, Creston, Pismo, Nipomo, Santa Margarita, San Miguel, Harmony...anyone?

Porsche Owners Club does an autox in Lompoc from time to time and from what I hear my old roommate Larry Butler takes FTD with his 510 almost every time.

When I lived in Los Osos there was a Cal Poly Sports Car Club and there were a few of us Datsun guys. Don't think it's still around though.

Posted (edited)

Used to be the guys at Maximum Motorsports (high quality aftermarket Mustang suspension/chassis parts mfr over on Sacramento) pretty much ran the CPSCC and they did a really good job. They handled all the autocrosses at Santa Maria airport. Those were shut down before I moved away, so I used to autox at Marina airport near Laguna Seca, which was run by Dennis Hale (big 510 guy). I believe that autox is still going, and there are others at that venue too. 

My understanding is that there might be more autocrosses at Santa Maria again, so I'd look into that. There is also the roadster thing every year in Solvang. That might not be exactly what you're looking for, but might find more local Datsun guys that way.

If you're into track days you can try the Alfa Romeo Club of So Cal or Porsche Owners Club or PCA. Since there is such a dearth of car stuff going on there, getting out to one of these events will probably bring you in contact with the people in the area. Could also try the vintage races at Laguna Seca. That always draws a crowd of Datsun people. I think they're there, you just need to find them.

Edited by JMortensen

I just moved down to Arroyo Grande, it's certainly nothing like the Bay Area in terms of the classic car scene.  A few muscle cars, mostly garage queens.  I don't think I've seen another Z since I've been down here.  At least the weather is awesome for T-tops!

-Eric