HybridZ

Supra N/A motor in 280?

Nismo280zEd

Well in my opinion, you aren't gaining a thing. The engine will produce slightly more power than a L28, due to a better head design (crossflow) and slightly more displacement. The L28 is allready bulletproof in my opinion, so I doubt you'd gain at all on that front. Personally, I wouldn't think it was worth the trouble of doing a swap just to gain 200cc displacement, and a crossflow head.

Take a look at some of the hot L28 setups, or 3.0L strokers being made based on the L28. Dan Baldwin is producing 235rwhp with his 3.0L? stoker. It may not sound like a lot, but I'd bet if you spent 30 seconds in the passanger seat of his Z you'd be convinced!

Guest eric-z

If I were to go through the trouble of swaping in a supra engine then I would definitely go with the twin turbo. like drax240z said, "your not really gaining anything", this is becuase what you will probably end up doing is spending alot of time/money to get the thing in there and running. then you are in the same boat if you were trying to mod an L28, you will end up spending the same amount of money to just put in the supra tt motor and probably have a little less horsepower. but it is all about what you are looking for in the engine.

thats just my opinion,

eric

Originally posted by Nismo280zEd:

reliable w/ out the turbos to plague them? Just wondering. Don't know much about the motor at all.

:eek: That's the first time I've heard the turbos are a plague! Is there an innoculation I can get?

MO, not worth the effort to swap an N/A - all that work and minimal benefit (ie: no more power, no less weight)...

Guest eric-z

SleeperZ-no innoculation, I would feel blessed with that disease

nismo280zEd- why in hevans name aren't you looking for a wheel popn' 280z?

The way you stop getting tickets is you

a)get a radar detector

b)stop speeding

not decreasing the power in your car. but all in all it is like I said earlier "its all about what your looking for in the engine". we can't stop you from doing the swap, only give you a different opinion.

David Karey- I completely agree

For the money you'd spend for the swap...I'd have to go with a stand alone system to eliminate the the old EFI and gain the programmability. If all you really want to do is delete the Bosch stuff. Just my .02

P.S. I'm glad there aren't and B.S. flags on this site. Just one of the reasons I hang around here... tongue.gif

Newer injector design? Not by much! LOL! Side feed injectors - find 'em in other apps. People are converting to top feed Bosch style in the Supra world.

It's a reliable motor but if you're going to the trouble do a single turbo. Oh, and the N/A have a 5speed attached to them. The 6speed has it's handle WAY back apparently so it supposedly won't fit.

Nice to see you are all openminded people. Yeah i prolly squeezed too much to get all the juice outta my L-Jetronic, sorry that offends you as to raise a BS flag on me... and yes i am currently looking into a new enginemanagment system. Just waitn' for emails back... currently i'm looking at the system Holley makes. Thanx for the info on the tranny though.. the 6spd was a real selling point for the swap. oh well

I'd be gaining the a new computer, new electronics, newer injector style, and i think a 6spd. I'm not looking for more power, just an easier electronic system to diagnose the L-Jetronic designed by Bosch has finally croaked on my car. I don't want the turbos because i already have enough tickets w/ an N/A motor. Plus just slightly easier to tune w/ out them. Just my .02

I'm not looking for the wheelie popn' 280.

Ed

Originally posted by Nismo280zEd:

L-Jetronic designed by Bosch has finally croaked on my car
I think either

1) you are saying this because you want to get out of proving you really did have 230 n/a hp on the stock system, or

2) your system finally gave up after giving you a whopping 230 whp.

Ill take 1.

Im looking around, but i cant find my BS flag, i think i have misplaced it.