HybridZ

Sbc to fS5W71c

I'm in the process of adapting an 85 5 speed to a 66 chevy 283. So far the transmission should fit. The current issue is the clutch and release bearing height. So I am looking for a low profile clutch for a sbc, looking for stock replacement not anything too pricey, any ideas? Top is nissan clutch stuck on chevy flywheel, bottom is stock chevy clutch.

20200418_224732.jpg

20200417_215342.jpg

Edited by TunnelArmr

The relationship to the clutch fork pivot ball in the transmission case is what matters.  There are several different /Nissan throwout bearing sleeve/collar heights to match the several different pressure plate heights.

You'll want to compare where the Chevy flywheel surface sits, compared to where the Nissan flywheel did, in relation to the mating surface of the engine and transmission.  Lots of ways to mess it up.  The slave cylinder, fork, and pivot ball relationship determines where end of the fork starts its travel.

image.png.3ffc81dbdcc8517b976bccd3b6ebb51c.png

I have determined that chevy clutch plate that I have now will not work as the fingers protrude to high into bellhousing. With the nissan plate installed it fits and allows for good clutch fork actuation. I'm just looking for clutch plate that will bolt on to a sbc flywheel and have a lower profile similar to the nissan one. 

• 2 years later...