HybridZ

SHO engine

RacerX

Hey RacerX

You said in another post that the SHO engine was kinda heavy. Any idea what it really weighs? Seems like it should be fairly light, all aluminun though the intake looks heavy. Was just looking thru an old Race Tech mag with an article on Ford Duratech V6 for SR2 racing, very similar to SHO, without accesories but with custom water pump and dry sump oil pumps and flywheel 265 lbs.

WOAH!!!! BAD IDEA!!! i have a 95 Ford Taurus SHO. The part yamah built is an abolute amazing piece of work, the rest.. (everything ford touched) is crap! the biggest flaw on that engine is the waterpump that leaks onto the CPS sensor (crank positioning sensor) cause it to overheat and the car will die until it cools off. The engine is nice.. but ford put to many crappy sensors all over it. like i said i have a 95 SHO and it sits in the street for a reason. I would sugest rethinking that idea.. but hey it's your money, and your hassle to find parts.

• 1 month later...

I am considering this for a swap......

I have a '91 SHO and its been great. That engine pulls hard up to about 6800 in stock form....

The only part I am reluctant about is fitting a 5 speed to it... If I can't have the manual tranny, I'm not doing it...

Looks like there is a way...but how much expense and aggrevation is added??....

Just not sure yet.....

• 3 weeks later...

I am in the process of installing a SHO in a 260Z. The motor is a lot taller than it appears. With the intake turned around there is also the water outlets above the bellhousing that set the forward placement of the engine. I have not installed the engine yet but from my measurements it is a tight fit. I might have to do some modifications to the fire wall to set the enging to the rear. I am using an Areostar bellhousing and a T5 transmission. The wiring is not as bad as it seems, but I have not had to trouble shoot it yet.

The intake manifold is symmetrical so I turned it around with some 3/8” spacers in between. The top of the timing belt cover needs to be trimmed and some of the casting on the manifold needs to be trimmed. I am using a low pressure and a high-pressure fuel pump with holding tank in between. There is a web site about a Healey with a SHO engine conversion that has been real helpful. He has really layed the project out for others to follow.

Guest Anonymous

It sure is nice to see someoneone else considering/doing this swap. My own SHO swap into a Velo Rossa rebody has stalled (3yrs and ...) while I wait for cash. I have everything to do. My biggest concern is the strength of the '87 Aerostar bell housing and engine height. If I remember correctly Central Coast Mustang? has a a complete kit designed for Ranger pickups to install a T-5 (short input shaft) on V-6 engines, 3.0L, which is the same tranny bolt pattern as the SHO. Kinda pricey but allows the use of upgraded transmissions (Tremec for example) to take high power levels. IMHO I would use a custom clutch.

I am going to have to weigh one of my motors since I am finding it hard to believe that the motor weighs as much as has been reported.

If I don't get moving soon on my project I may have to bail and sell

Guest Anonymous

I was going with a 350 TPI swap on my 73 240. The insurance company wanted more then I was willing to put out for the doner car so.....

Now just yesterday I was out parts hunting and came across a 92 SHO with a bad front end and transmission. It has a good motor . The guy is not asking much for the whole car. He also has a few of the vans out there for the bell housing :D

I am at the point of just going for it now. I wanted the V-8 power but with a high rev 6 that can put 220 HP down stock sitting in front of me. Lets just say I have been talking with him today about the money end of this.

The look of this motor is just so hot and for $250.00 you can buy a plug in for the stock computer that will let you re program injectors and larger mass air flow sens. The big cost with the SHO seems to be if you want to change cams. There up around $1500.00 for a race cam set.

We will see....

I am sure glad to see that there are others out there that are planning or in the process of doing this conversion. This is one tall engine. From my dimensions to get around 3” of pan clearance, there is no way that the hood latch will work. I am planning on using Dzus fasteners on the hood corners. After looking at the length, it would be best to notch the firewall for the intake manifold and the water outlet. If you thermostat goes out you would have to remove the motor. The engine can be installed without the firewall modification but the end pulley ends up directly over the steering rack. This gives the about ½” clearance on the hood from the throttle assembly. The front cross member could be lower to increase clearance. I have not got into the transmission yet to get the clearances there. I would be interested to hear how others are coming along with this type of conversion.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just returned the SHO motor to the wrecking yard that I bought if from. After 4 months of waiting, 3 wrong bell housings and no transmission, I have given up on this project. I did receive a full refund on the motor and parts.

What Went Right. 1. When I bought the parts, everything from one source, I gave them a full list of everything I needed, including year and model. I kept a copy of this for my reference. 2. I learned a lot about the engine and wiring harness. The SHO is very tall. To install properly the pan depth needs to be shortened about 1-1/2†at least to get around 3†of ground clearance. To install correctly the firewall need to be notched to clear the water outlet and the rear of the air plentum. This will move the motor back enough so the harmonic balancer will not be sitting directly on top of the steering rack. 3. With the right books and patience the wiring harness is not as bad as it looks. 4. When I confronted them that the transmission is a 1994 T5 shown on my list I received my money back even with my modifications to the wiring harness.

What Went Wrong. 1. I didn’t wait until all of the parts were in one pile. I accepted them in a piecemeal order. The motor one day the drive shaft, bell housing another. 2. I really should have gotten better dimensions of the engine. Take pictures of a motor out of a car from all directions and take them with you and get ever dimension that you might need marked on the photo.

If I had to do it again I would have the wrecking yard initial my list of needed parts. I would have done more research on the dimensions and weight on this motor. I am still planning on some type of conversion for my 260Z convertible but will do more research next time.

Lessons Learned

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, Brian Spillar....How ya doin'? Haven't heard from you in a while...

I was surfing around in this section on behalf of a friend who has an SHO engine he'd like to sell. I'm sure the price would be reasonable, but haven't asked him yet.

If anyone is interested, you can reach him (Rusty) at brad900rr@aol.com .

Tell him I sent you!