HybridZ

Lost a lash pad at high rpm ! Need help

gacksen

Hello,

have lost a lash pad at high rpm on the autobahn yesterday. Luckily pad was laying next to the valve.

Looks like the retainer of cyl. 2 exhaust is toast and i will need to replace it. Bought the car several years

ago but do not have any specific infos on the motor except as L31 and reworked E88 head. No info

on cam and springs. Has E30 marks on it but already got mentioned looks like a regrind.

As i did not work on that motor before i have read that geometry and wipe pattern is important

for the rocker am. of course also valve lash. in regards of the valve lash i do not have any infos

about the values it should be set as don´t know what cam or regrind it is. Also unsure how many valve jobs

the head actually had in its lifetime.

Have understand that first you set the wipe pattern and then adjust the valve lash. If the wipe pattern

can´t be adjustet right you need either thicker or thinner pads to get that done.

Did measure the the OD of the valve springs and it is roughly 1,37" 35mm. Looks like reinforced springs with

bigger diameter or is this the original size ?

Had a search in google to find out more about valve retainers with higher walls to accomodate thicker pads

that they have more stability but only could find some nissan motorsport items that are no more longer

available.

Anybody of you guys know where to buy such valve retainers or how to solve the problem with the

geometry of the setup ?

Any help highly appreciated :)

IMG-20200630-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20200630-WA0011.jpeg

As jobill stated you need deeper retainers.  Nissan Comp used to sell ranges that had to be used for specific depth lash pads.  A quick google search turned up many companies that seem to have the parts.  You also need to make sure these don't alter the installed height of your springs or you may end up in coil bind or not have the correct seat pressure and then have valve float issues.  Sorry to say that the wrong parts were used when you're engine was built.  At least you didn't have the rocker fall off and get in their sideways and royally screw up the cam, which happened to me when I learned you couldn't mix and match parts.

Hope that helps,

Cary

Hello,

i was having a look in google to find something out but even with the part number of the nismo retainer versions i could find no supplier of them.

My current valve spring OD is 1.37" or 35mm. Could the valve retainer be the regular stock one ?

Also have taken some pictures of the pad and rocker arm. Wipe pattern is way way off. Had the car checked over by a friend last year but seems

he did not set the lash correctly or check the wipe pattern. Maybe it´s good that it happend so ill read myself into this matter and will

try to make it as good as possible. I am no professional mechanic but i do not have to left hands and did plenty of work already on the car.

Also wondering if it is normal when the valve is closed that the rocker arm is not touching the lash pad ?

20200701_172329.jpg

20200701_172409.jpg