HybridZ

PVC plumbing with turbo

Tbob

Gents,

I am turbocharging an L28 using an aftermarket turbo and intake (Protunerz). I want to keep the PCV system functioning, but I get the feeling that the PCV valve from the NA setup won’t work, since it will be seeing boost pressure, rather than manifold vacuum.

how do you guys plumb a PCV valve in a boosted application?

Not my method, this is a direct quote from Matt Armstrong in Vancouver who builds a lot of these

He goes stock block vent to stock pcv valve on the intake,  then valve cover breather to catch can to intake on the turbo

So two small systems

Block Vent --> PCV Valve --> Intake

Valve cover --> Catch can -->> Turbo intake

I route the the engine vent lines to the air intake pipe in front of the compressor. There is enough of a pressure differential to still “suck” out the crank fumes. Ideally if you want a cross-flow that will bring in fresh air through your engine crank and head cavity, you will want a breather on either your block vent or valve cover, and have one or the other plumber to your intake air. The downside to that is fumes will escape the breather when the car is off. 

52 minutes ago, Zetsaz said:

Not my method, this is a direct quote from Matt Armstrong in Vancouver who builds a lot of these

He goes stock block vent to stock pcv valve on the intake,  then valve cover breather to catch can to intake on the turbo

So two small systems

Block Vent --> PCV Valve --> Intake

Valve cover --> Catch can -->> Turbo intake

yep you can do it this way too :) I chickened out and didn’t use a PCV (it’s a check-valve). I was worried that the valve could fail by getting fouled, and redirect boost back into the crank. I mean, something will pop and it will escape but I didn’t have enough experience to trust it. 

question though. Just to confirm I understand right, is it sucking on both-ends (block and valve cover)? Hmmm. The fumes will definitely escape back through the engine intake but you won’t get “flow” without fresh air coming into the block somewhere. Maybe you don’t need that cross-flow 🤷🏽‍♂️. Should work!