HybridZ

clutch master cylinder rod WAY too short

On my clutch setup, I noticed that I wasn't getting enough "push" from the clutch master cylinder. According to the FSM, there should be 8.78 inches distance from teh firewall to the front of the pedal (see pic I attached). When I measured mine it was only 6.5 inches !!! so somehow, my rod is 2 3/8 inches too short! I am assuming I can buy a thread on coupling and some additional all thread to make up the length that is not there, but I am noticing that the clutch pedal stop is screwed out keeping it from coming up any more. So, I know I can simply adjust that out to let it come up, but I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem? 1972 240Z

clutch pedal distance.jpg

12 hours ago, A to Z said:

the measurement from the firewall to face of pedal pad is 6.5 inches instead of 8.78 inches per the factory manual

clutch pedal distance.jpg

Yes, you said this already. You said if you adjust the stop, the pedal will come up further. That would change your measurement, would it not? 

On 7/25/2023 at 2:10 AM, jonbill said:

How much rod is visible at the slave cylinder? Have you changed the clutch?

Entire new clutch kit and conversion kit from Godzilla Raceworks, as this car is an automatic transmission to manual stop.  Whole whole kit is from exedy and matched.  The clutch master cylinder is exedy, and the rod is just too short!  

no...... I went ahead and lengthened it over all by one full inch. Before the clutch pedal was 6.5 inches off the floor. With this extension, the pedal is at maximum movement up, around 10 inches. The factory recommends the pedal height to be 8.78 inches. I went ahead and tried it anyway. It DOES work, in that I can shift gears, put it in reverse, etc. But the clutch takeup is right at the end of the pedal travel, and there is NO play in the pedal at all. Should I make the extension 1/2 inch instead of 1 inch? I don't have a longer rod to just swap out. Attached is a pic of my extension. It is a threaded coupling with nuts on both end to lock it, with threads screwed in the end for teh fork to screw on. it isn't flimsy at all, it actually is very stout. Please HELP! 🙂

Clutch rod 1 inch extension.jpg