HybridZ

A Excellent Video on A Complete Body Restoration of a 240Z car

toolman

I found this Four Part Video of a Complete Body Restoration of a 240Z car.    This series of videos gives a good idea of how much work

it takes to perform body restoration.   The individual demonstrating  the bodywork is a very skilled artisan and uses some specialized body

tools.   He repairs most of the bodywork with his years of skill.   In some cases, a individual not as skilled can replace reproduction Z body

which are now available in the USA.   As I found out later, I think these videos were made in Switerland.   European and Asian countries have  Vocational Apprentice-ship Education Programs that student start into their selected vocations( plumping, electrical, automotive bodywork,etc at age 15.   So the student starting learning a vocational trade at least 3 to 4 years ahead of vocational schools in America.

Unfortunately, most people tend to look down on individuals  who go to Trade Schools instead of College.   Yet, they can make a Six Figure

Income at their Trades.

Video#1    

Video# 2     

Video#3     

Video#  4     

rotisserie

To work on the Z Floor Body Pans, the Two Methods most often utilized is Car Rotisserie or Tilt Rotisserie.   A Car Rotisserie costs over

$1000 or you could rent on or make your own (using two engine stands).  The   choice is to construction of a Wooden Tilt Rotisserie.

It built using 2" X  6" lumber and some plywood costing about $80 from Home Depot. 

Putting car on the Rotisserie

I hope these You Tube videos were interesting for you.   If you have any questions, please ask and try to answer them.

Edited by toolman
add pic and text

I have done a complete chassis resto. Took me 3 years… oooof. Let us know if you have any questions. 

#1 take away: it is more expensive, more time consuming, and more tedious than one would possibly imagine, especially if you are stiffening the chassis and replacing rust along the way. 

absolutely, positively 100% worth the time and effort to find a body you can build from that does not require a full bare-metal resto. You will never get your time and money back, haha. Maybe for a rare European, but not a Z. 

Also, as popular as the rotisserie is, it can be done without. You wire-wheel the underside on your back wearing proper PPE, and use a brush to apply the epoxy sealer. 

• Like 1

On 12/26/2023 at 6:17 PM, AydinZ71 said:

I have done a complete chassis resto. Took me 3 years… oooof. Let us know if you have any questions. 

#1 take away: it is more expensive, more time consuming, and more tedious than one would possibly imagine, especially if you are stiffening the chassis and replacing rust along the way. 

absolutely, positively 100% worth the time and effort to find a body you can build from that does not require a full bare-metal resto. You will never get your time and money back, haha. Maybe for a rare European, but not a Z. 

Also, as popular as the rotisserie is, it can be done without. You wire-wheel the underside on your back wearing proper PPE, and use a brush to apply the epoxy sealer. 

Even my "rust free" 280z had the floors replaced at some point (poorly, I might add). 

I'll agree with you here, it's so worth it to find a body that needs as little work as possible. His example in the videos is FAR better than most and still required some patching to get it to a high standard. Very impressed with his videos and the work on the hood though.

It's almost motivating me to replace my floors properly, now with properly reproduced seat supports that weren't available when I made mine out of square tubing... slightly less tempting now that it's painted though haha. 

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all comments about restoring a 240Z.    I decided to post these videos because when I started to put my 240Z in car shows, alot of people(young and old)

didn't really understand how much work was involved,  I spent  working on the car for 5 years(working after work, weekends and holidays and about 2 years straight after I retired.  i was lucky because My father own a Autoi Body Shop and I have ASE Certified License in Auto Mechanics and Automotive Collision.  This experience allowed me to do 99% of the work by myself including painting.   Built the whole car in my home 2 car garage.   Also, made a Wooden Rostisserie to do the floor pans and some under carriage work. Since  a new crate motor LS3 6.2L motor was going into the car, I constructed a 3/16" X 2 1/2"square tubing frame and midframe made of 1" x3" tubing.   The main reason for going through all this work was this 240z was my First Car that I ever bought on my own.   Everyone wishes they still had their First Car. right?

Toolman

Before

rust29.JPG.e653b73c65c3ab60f54f7f6006f7fe51.JPG

After

240Z.jpg.438e9fb7d07cb32cadcca77be259cc1a.jpg

Edited by toolman
add text and pics