HybridZ

7m-gte mounted

Tony240ZT

Still need to work on the tranny mount, but the engine mounts seem like they will work. I had to push the engine back as far as possible so that I could see the shifter. I still have to cut some metal out to get the shifter to work.

Even though the engine is inline 6, DOHC, and a full 3.0L it's not as long as the L6, it's wider, and so is the tranny, but both fit easily. As you can see from the pics the engine is behind the sway bar, this will leave a lot of room to run intercooler piping and electric fans.

passide.jpg

check out http://www.zhome.com/~aktar/zcar/7m/mounted/ for the rest of the pictures.

My Wolf3D is still not here, I ordered it 3 months ago, but they promise it will be out to me tomorrow. 3" exhaust will be installed, look through previous posts for the HKS FMIC. Those are MSD 8.5mm wires, let me know if you have any other questions. I'll finish the tranny mount tomorrow, and order the mandrel bends for the IC piping.

Nice. I'm jealous. I was really thinking about doing this swap. At one point I actually made an offer on a donor Supra.

Looks really nice in there. No steering interference at all. Those motor mounts look pretty straight forward too. Damn. I've been wasting all this time moving my engine half a degree one way, half an inch another. Ugh.

That Wolf3D can't have been very friendly to the wallet though, eh?

As to the shifter thing, hell I had to cut metal out of the tunnel when I swapped in a ZX 5spd on my L28. Are you using an NA box or the turbo one? How does the trans mount work out, full custom or modified stock?

hey looks good. i have a question though... Is the 7M mounted straight up and down in teh supra??? i thought it had a little lean to it like the L motors and rb motors have.... Its not good to mount an RB or L motor in anything striaght up and down because of oil return issues in the head. I know nothing about the 7m thats why im asking. if so that looks like a really straight fwd swap ;>... how youd do the driveshaft? custom. The lean info was given to me by several tuning shops in japan in case your wondering.

Stony, after looking at my `87 supra turbo I don't notice any slant. Here is a picture of my Supra's engine compartment:

engine.jpg

I'm using the Turbo 5 speed tranny with TRD clutch/presure plate. The tranny mount is a modified MKII Supra mount (lots of these in the bone yard).

The complete Wolf3D system with built in boost controler, real time PC software, and a modified cam possition sensor to work with the system is about $1500 shipped.

I'm going to take measurements for the drive line, and combine the supra and z one. There are shops around here that specialize in that.

My `87 Supra is basicly stock w/just a 2 1/2" exhaust, and boost turned up. It's making 290hp at the crank. I can't get any more out of it without doing a lot of changes. The 7m-gte in my Z will be limited by the stock CT-26 turbo which is probably only good for 320hp. I've upgraded injectors to 550cc/min, have a fuel pump good for 500hp, HKS FMIC, TRD clutch, so if I were to upgrade the turbo, put on a metal head gasket and ARP head studs I might see 400hp at the crank. I would love to go with a full T4 turbo setup, but right now it is out of my price rang. HK$ makes a kit, but it's like 4 grand completed! I'll likely be dropping in a set of adjustable cam gears, or at least on the exhaust side where it makes the biggest difference.

Just a side note about the EMS pricing. If I would have gone with the stock computer system I would have had to of sorced an engine wiring harness, they are around $500 new, if you can still get them, then the computer, which you can find used for a good deal maybe $100. Now, you have a system that has a restricive AFM, and only allows you to do 11 pounds of boost. You can swap out the stock AFM body for a Lexus V8 one ($200), then swap your old AFM sensor into this, increase the size of the injectors, to trick out the system, but most times this makes the car run rich.

To get rid of the AFM you will need a piggy back computer from HKS called the VPC (Vein Presure Converter). This will allow you to run a different sized of injectors but you will need to get it reprogrammed if you change again, big $$. It's about $1,000 for the VPC if you can find a complete kit. You will want to do away with the Fuel cut off problem with a HKS FCD (Fuel Cut Defencer), which only allows you to get 18 pounds of boost, but you will run into the same problem again I've seen these go for $500 with a HKS F-CON system which slightly modifies the MAP curve, and lengthens injector firing times. You will need a HKS BCC (forget what it stands for), which allows you to dial in your Air/Fuel ratios with nobs (no display!). Still after all of this stuff there is no way to actually see your fuel map.

To control boost you'd need an electronic boost controler a used HKS EVC II goes for around $275, the wolf ems has a built in turbo timer add $75.

I have heard that after adding all of these piggy back systems that you will get a delay in reaction from the computer. Just think, one computer is interperating what another is saying, converting the data, and posting it again to have it happen again.

You will need to buy tons of guages to see what all of these piggy back computers are doing, and know how to adjust them. As you know guages aren't cheap and too many of them make a car look ricy.

So, I feel like the Wolf3d is a good deal. I could have saved money going with SDS, or haltec(sp?), but I like the features of the wolf system.

Nice Tony,

Conversion components here in NZ make different shifters for the supra gear box. They say they have six positions for the lever. Measuring from the front of the gear box, where the bell housing bolts on, they go from 365mm, 390mm, 455mm, 515mm, 530mm, and 580mm.

This might solve your need to remove metal and also give you a better gear change. The po of my z bent the gear lever all over the place to get it in a place where you could raech it, 350chev and supra gear box. I will be geting one when the time comes.

www.conversioncomp.co.nz

Cheers

Douglas

Tony,

nicely done and good luck with the rest of the install. I agree with you 100% on the piggyback systems and I will never understand it when I see the $$$ that people pour into these systems because it says Greedy, HK$, APEXi, etc and it is still a hit or miss solution with the stock system still in place.

that shifter is no issue at all it looks like all you need to do is cut about three inches, nothing really. man was it really that simple to drop the motor into place, it looks like all you did was maybe slot the supra mount a little bit and drop it right on! how far is it from firewall, is it a little forward like the stock location? and for the trans mount, please dont tell me its a stock datsun mount, that will just kill me. anyways, that looks really good and hope it runs better, one of these days i can see myself defecting to the turbo camp and may just jump over to a 7m-gte, so i say.