HybridZ

INTERCOOLER

DAT240Z

Yes. The IC cools the air, and makes it more dense. The end result is more power, even if you are measuring boost at the compressor, but if you are measuring it at the manifold, you have even more. At 9 psi I ran a 14.9 1/4, after with same 9 psi (at the manifold) I ran a 14.4 (same 2.1 sec 60').

Guest Anonymous

Just remember that your turbo will have to compensate for any pressure loss of the i/c. So if it had a pressure drop of 1 psi through the core, you'd have to work the compressor at 9 psi to see 8psi at the throttle. Just making sure you knew smile.gif

-980mak rockon.gif

so when i install my intercooler that would be a good time to up grade to the 450sel. injectors?I have read that the stock 280zxt seytem is good to around 270hp or so what would i need to do to get to that point, max.out the stock syetem. What is the max. boost i can run to get there safetly

thanks

I'm running 13psi with the stock system. I can run 14psi safely without any further modifications to the fuel system. That's just my Z though...I've discovered that for some reason different Z's act differently. My best advice is to get the necessary tools to boost it little by little until you hear pinging...then turn it down a level or two. If I remember correctly scotty was running 18psi with just an intercooler and bigger injectors? I personally would stop at 18 because at that level the stock t3 loses it's efficiency. In other words a nicely set up t3/t4 would boost more at 10psi than a stocker would at the same psi. cheers.gif

The Mercedes 450SL injectors were too large for me. I was always running rich with them even if I shorted out the head temp sensor wires! I was running them on a 2.4L, so a 2.8L may be able to take on a bit more fuel, but still, I'd use an adjustable fuel presure regulator with them.

The Mustang SVO/Merkur XR4Ti injectors were a better fit for me. I still run a little rich at idle, but things even out when under boost.

Here is some more info. I know Topend sells a larger injector to go on the ZXT with stock efi. It is a chrysler part number since my buddy got some.

Here is what I have found out.

Chrysler # P4452803 30lb per hour

P4452804 35lB

p4529495 42lB

p5249452 53lB

I checked the price on the 53's and they were 47.55 from the dealer. I am not saying these will work, just saying they may be a cheaper alternative to the Ford or Merc one's. I am going to order a 53 and see what the story is on it. I would really like to find out what car those cam on and go find one.

If someone wants to try them, let me know what they find out please.

I think the "brown tops" are 37lb units.

I have recently seen 3 of the Merkurs at 2 yards sell their inj for about 10 each (customer pulled usually). Take a 10mm socket and a swivel extension assembly to remove the fuel rail. A big screwdriver will pry everything off for removal of the injs. I haven't seen an SVO in a yard, ever. Wonder if the Turbo bird has a similar inj.

BTW, I haven't removed any XR4Ti inj, but have seen it done today.

More precisely, the "brown tops" are 36lb, but they are rated at 3 bar fuel pressure (that is the stock Ford regulator). I have tested them at 37 psi (37 psi), and they flow about 370 cc/min. These injectors can be found on later model Mustang SVOs, turbo Thunderbirds, turbo Mercury Cougars, and all the Merkur XR4Tis. I can usually find a set every other week at the U-pull-its.