HybridZ

Turbo

Nismo280zEd

OK... so i have a highly modified 78 280z cam, intake, headers, TB, wires, plugs, exhaust.. etc. I'm lookn' for some more power and found out the ZX head will directly bolt to the L28 block. Is this assumption correct? if so... how would the intake work stock 280z intake and use the zx exhaust w/ turbo? anybody done this to my year of car? should be doing all this in october. also.. what PSI are you guys running.. thanx alot guys

ED

1978 2+2 N/A for now :-)

You can swap the head out to the P90, add the turbo injectors, the exhaust manifold, and then run the turbo electronics. The biggest problem I see is that the pistons are not turbo pistons, so you would have to be more careful about boost levels that you would be with a turbo piston.

Boost levels depend on what kind of turbo, injector, intercooled vs non intercooled etc. I like to run alot of boost because it is fun when it hits.

OK... so i was going to put an intercooler on... and run 3-5psi boost w/ OEM 280z injectors. (brand new.. don't wanna get turbos' yet) turbo pistons are just flap tops? compared to the OEM 280z dished pistons? would that kinda boost be safe? can't rebuild engine till after December.

Really don't wanna rebuild till i grad from highschool (next may)

Am i correct in assuming when you say the P90 head your talkn about the 79-81 turbo head? right?

thanx guys

ED

The turbo pistons are dished, like the Z pistons, but have the ring lands lower down. The P90 head came on the '81-'83 turbo ZX (P90A on most '83s). The least boost you can run (with the factory wastegate actuator is about 5-6 psi - you may be able to get away with running factory Z injectors, but I would not recommend it. Maybe some one else here has had some sucess with that?

It seems the more i do research on this... the cheaper it sounds to just rebuild a ZX engine and drop it in :rolleyes: Was kinda tryn' to avoid that... i'm painting a friends car.. so i'll have 2K so spend on this.. the rest i'm kinda savn' for a jump on college. So i'm kinda stuck in this problem of... Keepn' it N/A and tryn' to find another 50 hp some how... or convert to turbo and find around 300hp (thas my target) i thought turbo because of gas milage.. as it is now.. my car breaks too often.. i really need a CLEAN, RELIABLE 300hp.. any thoughts?

or am i hopn for a miracle

ED

i would just save up and spring for the whole drivetrain, you would be better off in the long end because you would have a better setup if you did the whole thing at once. i dont know how much boost the stock pistons and na injectors can take either.