HybridZ

#6 hose for turbo feed line?

J Taylor

Been working on running down all the AN fittings I need for my z and toyota pickup as well. One thing I am doing to both and having problems with is the turbo feed line. On the truck, I need 12mm 1.25 on both ends and on one end for the z as well. Earls doesn't sell that adapter to a #4 which is what I want. The guy at the speed shop says a #6 will be fine. I see no reason it wouldn't but it seems like I read something here a while back about having too big of a turbo feed line. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

JT

You can run the -6 line, but the reality of it is the line is much to large for the turbo oil feed. The -4 line is more the sufficient for the turbo oil, in fact if you constrict the line to a .080 oil feed hole that is better. The problem with the excessive oil is that it tends to get past the bearing seals and fills up the intire intake system up with this nice heavy coat of oil. Very mucky, and greasy, to say the least.

I am running the stock Nissan fitting off the turbo(for the stock Banjo fitting) and what I did was to go with a -4 (steel) 1/4" NPT fitting. I realize that the hold in the fitting is large, but if you tap into the fitting so that the NPT fitting seats/tightenes at almost the end of the threads, and use teflon tape the fitting will seal very well. You will have to file the excessive overhang of the fitting off of the mating surface to the turbo, but that as I said worked out very well. On the block side, again you will have to drill the fitting where the hardline fitting went, and drill it deep enough the be able to tap the fitting enough, then again the 1/4" NPT STEEL fitting from Earls works out very well. Also, if you decide to constrict the oil feed line then what you can do is tap the ID hole in the NPT fitting with a 6mm tap, use a chassis bolt screw that into the new threads and twist off the bolt, yes snap it off with over torque, then file the fitting end flat again and drill out the newly installed bolt with a .080 dia tap and install all of it together. Make SURE you have removed all of the iron filings and the drill filings and you are in there. Then you will have a really cool install, buy 4 of the -4 clamps with the mounting screws. Color is up to you, remove the mounting bracket that is on the stock steel line that mounts to the bell housing, and the side of the block and secure the new line with the old hardware. VERY clean install I must say. :D

In some instances even the -4 can supply too much oil. I would suggest using a -3 line to your turbo which is what I have been using for quite some time. You can go as low as about .095" restrictor to the turbo. If your turbo burns oil with the larger -4 line then step the line down to a -3 and it may solve your problems. -6 should not be an option. Basically, the seals in the turbo are dynamic and over oiling just forces the oil past the seals.

James: What I need is a 12mm 1.25 to a -4 and a 12mm 1.00 to a -4. They have the latter listed but not the first. Know of any other places that may have the 1.25? That place will definately come in handy in the future. It is a PITA to find metric adapters.

Thanks,

JT

I considered using the -3 line, but I could only get the -3 in teflon line. I was no to excited about the use of that type configuration line. Also the 1/4" NPT fittings and steel fittings for the -4 works very well with the higher heat areas of the turbo. Restrict the line to .080 and you wont go wrong.

As long as you get the proper restrictor, any size line would be sufficient. I would think the line should not be used as a restriction, just as a method to deliver the oil. By the way, where is the restrictor located in a factory stock line? That's what I'm using now even though it's been necessary to bend it slightly to fit the upgraded turbo..I may want to replace the hard line with a flexible stainless line, but not without knowing where the restrictor is.

The stock steel line has NO restrictor in the line, so it will dump as much oil into the turbo as the banjo fitting will let it. Read my first post on the line and that is what I did with my line, it turned out very well. I dont believe using a 3" pipe for a 1/4" hole, stupid in my opinion. Use the correct size line/ pipe/ conector for the job, anything bigger starts to look stupid, and when you start buying steel braided line expensive also getting the larger line. :D