HybridZ

Twin Turboing my hybrid

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone,

Thought this would be the forum to find some info on what I'm about to do to my hybrid. Right now I'm running a mildly modified 350 in my 82 280zxt. I'm gonna do the impossible and twin turbo it. I know this is gonna be a long project and I'm ready for it. People tell me it can't be done, but they also told me at 16 that I couldn't put a 350 in my zx and I did, so if anyone has seen pics, or has any data, it would be greatly appreciated. Since my hybrid no longer is my daily driver it's time to make it my toy:) Anyway, any and all data is much appreciated. When I get off of work I"m gonna search the archives of this site. Thanks a million guys, and keep on zing:)

check ebay, every once in a while there are twin turbo kits for GM small blocks.

i have seen a 500ci caddy motor in a chevette not a corvette. a chevette the air filter was under the windshield and the driver was where the back seat used to be but the beast was in there that just proves that just about any motor can go in just about any car.

Take a look arround on the internet there are alot of these running arround. Most use the 2.3L ford turbo's and a carb bonnet with a holley. You can also use turbos off other things. Take a look at JYT or junk yard turbos in Yahoo groups.... they have a lot of good info.. Good luck anything is possible with a little work and a plan... Ray

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info Kevin. I'll be sure to keep you all posted. This is gonna be a long project since I have to start accumulating the parts and what not. First though I'm off to find those books you guys were talking about.

Sean

I agree about buying Maximum Boost, you might also wish to purchase McInnes book on Turbocharging as well.

You can Twin Turbo your engine w/out really knowing what you are doing & simply take someone else's advice or you can do it correctly; by understanding what you are doing. You should 'want' to understand the process so as to have a better grasp of turbocharging and have more control on the choice of components being selected.

This will take a lot of reading & understanding by edjucating yourself on the math of turbocharging. Get the two books & read till you cant read anymore. I have heard of someone mentioning "20th Century Turbo" as a good book-I have not purchased this one yet (maybe one of these days?).

Once you understand the math you can input the equations into Excel on the computer. This way when you want answers you dont have to repeat all the math-instead all you need are 8 inputs:

1) Bore

2) Stroke

3) How Many Cylinders for each turbo

4) Ambient Temp's

5) Manifold Absolute Pressure

6) Required Boost PSI

7) Compressor Efficiency

8) Intercooler Efficiency

Once you have made it to this point-running the math becomes fun; as all you have to do is plug in those field requirements & the computer does the rest of the calculations.

I dont have any hands-on when it comes to turbocharging: but I have read both books & have also put the math into Excel. It took me a few times to read both books till I grasped the concepts and about a solid week of playing w/the math till I had a working model on the computer. Once you understand the math reading a Turbo map will also be simplified.

You gotta read, read, and then read till your eyes hurt: and then read some more-till you begin understanding the issues of airflow velocity relative to turbocharging: then the light bulbs begin coming on....and staying on. :D

Keep us advised...as if I had to say that.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest Anonymous

I'm having my machine shop rebuild my current engine with new pistons and rods to lower my comp, so I can still use my alum heads, and stuff. It will be grand.

The book Kevin mentioned is actually "21st century performance" buy Dick Datson. I havent read it but might get it. He is also the moderator for this site which i found on the weekend.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blowthruturbo/

I found it interesting. Spent about 14 hours looking through it yesterday.

Douglas