HybridZ

BOV recommendations

Tim240z

You might want to get a BOV that allows you to return the vented air back to before the compressor, otherwise the stock electronics will be giving you fuel for the air you're dumping to the atmosphere, since it has no way of knowing that it's gone...i.e. you might shoot some flames out your tailpipe when you shift :-D the way I understand it though, a BOV that's meant to vent to atmosphere shouldn't hurt performance otherwise since it should only open when shifting or closing the throttle anyway.

That said, I'll probably try setting mine up both ways (recirculating or vent to atmosphere) and see which one's better, having the "whsssssssshhht!" of a BOV would be cool :cool:

Those aftermarket valves you pictured though will be $$$, you could go for a used 1st generation DSM (Talon/Eclipse/Laser) BOV, or a Bosch BOV as found on Saabs and Porsches -- those you can supposedly buy new for $40-50 from a dealer (haven't tried yet tho). Bosch valves are meant to return air to the intake however, you'd have to modify it to vent to atmosphere, like put a one-way valve on the end to keep it from opening under vacuum.

If you haven't already seen this page, there's a little info on the Bosch BOV vs. atmospheric vent type valves: http://wwwrsphysse.anu.edu.au/~amh110/Technical_pages/blow_off_valve.htm

Thanks for the info guys.

The Saab/Porsche idea is feasible, but there are no Eclipses in the yards out here. How expensive are they new (are those units worth getting new, or will other turbo car BOVs be ok...like the saab etc)?

Thanks,

Tim

Guest Anonymous

I run the hks ssqv bov open on my car, it is fine. I turned the adjusting bolt all the way shut so it will not vent at idle at all, but the downside is that it is quieter when it vents between shifts. I happily accept that drawback, cause now I sound like rice.

HKS SS-bov is very nice, im not a fan of the Apex-i one.

the Blitz one is also nice.

also if you like reallllllllllllllll loud ones and also very good check out XS-engineering RFL BOV.. very good.

mike

You might try some of the DSM boards I hear they are on there often enough that it shouldn't be a big deal. Or you might try these guys and see if they can help you locate one. Also if you crush the top of the BOV a little you are supposed to be able to run more psi with out them leaking. I personall run a GReedy Type S vented to the atmoshpere and have no proublems with how the car runs. Everytime this subject comes up everyone says to run it back before the turbo but, mines works fine like it is. Plus the sound is kinda cool. Check Scotties page and see if he still has the info about them.

Zedrick, has a good point here and it's something that I do as well. Some of the others (non-adjustable) might or will leak at idle so they would not be able to be used unless recirclualted back into the intake tract. If it only vents while shifting and is set pretty hard there should be no proublem.