HybridZ

Any ROAD RACERS here?

Mudge

I'm thinking seriously about a turbo again, thanks Leonard :rolleyes::D

With that in mind, if I have to run race gas on the track that is NOT a big deal at all, almost every track will have at least 100 octane on hand (I can always bring Tolulene or try to find something better if needed), and for the street since I'll be staying out of boost for the most part, extended duration wise anyway, it looks doable.

However, what intercooler setup has proved usefull so far? From a GN? Stringing two of ___ IC together? Volvo?

Just looking for input, but I think this is the way to go.

A 60-1 sounds awesome, but I am a bigtime turbo-newbie, and huge power is not a concern at least right off the bat, for starters I'd look at plenty of torque band and something over 200 RWHP.

I couple of things real quick that I would like to add are:

1. Get and aftermarket intercooler if the money is there.

2. In the long run going with a large turbo will be cheaper. 200 hp is very easy to do and you'll soon be wanting 400. Trust me on this one.

3. If you can get 100 octane then you could build a nice combo of high compression and boost. You just need to have the supporting items to make it all last.

RANDY 77ZT PAGING RANDY 77ZT.

200hp is cake, a healthy turbo motor with bolt ons can do that in its sleep, my guy does it with one eye open, he is soon to be half awake i guess, i have mild goals, but i wanna drive mine cross country, so thats how im gonna be.

If you really want to start with 200HP or so then just take a healthy turbo motor and run it. Maybe turn the boost to 9 or 10 psi and you'll be fine. The race gas would help to fight off any detionation if you were to be close the edge of tunning. Not that you should be carless but, the race gas would be good insurance in a situation like a road race. As you can then go for some simple upgrade like you mentioned in the first post.

The NPR is a good OEM intercooler and several of the guys here are running them or are about to. The only thing I don't like about them is that when you really start to crank up the boost they can become restrictive. Also since many people run the big one it blocks most of the radiator which you might be needing in a road race situation. Maybe that's not a concern for your car.

If you look around you might find a good Spearco for not much more than the NPR would be off of E-bay. Here is one that I think is a pretty good deal. It's not the best design in the world but, for the money I think it would outflow almost any OEM based intercooler. If you look in the descrption you'll see that they have other ones that would fit a Z engine bay very nicely. And are better priced. the piping is gonna cost you a couple of hundred for everything to be done right no matter what intercooler you go with. Why not spend an extra hundred and get good intercooler?

Just my .02 ofcourse.

I think you would enjoy a turbo car I know I do.

One thing to keep in mind running a turbo car on the track is, when it's wet, it sucks. I've run my car in the rain on the track and it's incredibly hard to control with all the torque in the low RPMs frown.gif . Even when the boost turned down to 7, wheelspin is hard to control (I'm running an LSD too). On the other hand, when the conditions are dry, it is absolutely awesome. The torque allows me to shift less. I find myself staying in 3rd around tight turns, when other Zs are going down to second. 2thumbs.gif

Bottom line, when it's slick, it's hard to control wheelspin when the boost comes on. Great on the skidpad though :D

Pete

Well, there has to be a point of reasonable cost here, eventuall upgrades can be done, but if I "need" a $900 intercooler right off the bat than its LT1/T56 here I come.

So, feedback is of course welcome especially since I'm not in the know on this stuff, it sounds doable with a single intercooler and race gas on the track, and have even hear of a 13 PSI guy with no intercooler so far :D I wont be trying that I dont think, but I need to look at the options and what is reasonably doable here without breaking the bank or the engine.

Guest De Schmaydee

.....mudge...you dont need anything except a manual boost controller to get your 200hp.......

....i would decide on what turbo i wanted first...and what characteristics i wanted it to have and have it made (or if theres an off the shelf model you like get that one)....then get the intercooler that matches the turbo/application you want....

....as far as price....for the i.c. , i paid corkey bell to make me one just for my setup (i'm modding for 300-350hp....but the i.c. is good to over 400hp)...cost $575 i think....which aint cheap but i dont think its bad at all for a custom i.c. . and i know that it is perfect for my car..... he was real helpful about other info to help me get my job done........s

My 240's only purpose is road racing. You can easily make enough power with a V or H trim. 60-1's are nice and can make more power but the 400- 450hp that a $400 V or H T4 will make will be enough to take nearly anything on the track. I wouldn't waste my time with a T3/T4 they are for street Hondas, go with a full T4, they spool up fast enough. T3 turbines/wheels are too small making them to sensitive at part throttle, you'll go from 1 psi to full boost with barely any change in throttle on an apex or exit, makes the car really hard to drive. Unless you are running SCCA you don't hve to run track fuel. I do just for extra insurance against detonation. You don't NEED an intercooler unless you want to run 10+ psi and make real power, race gas will only get you so far. The more boost the more heat and you need to get it out of there. I was running 20 psi through a Conquest intercooler. Ya, I know there is alot of pressure drop through them but the only cars capable of passing me down a straight are GT1 or equivalent cars, no street cars. I just put in a MKiii Supra cooler but haven't run it yet. There is enough airflow across the core that you don't need a big NPR cooler as you'll rarely be going slow except for maybe 1 turn. If your intentions are road racing a fast turbo Z you'll soon find out the importance of big brakes. I would use a 944t, GN, or MKIII intercooler and spend what you saved on some big front brakes. You can pick up HKS AIC's pretty cheap on ebay($200) to run extra injectors or go full programable but you'll need big boost to make big power. If you were going for a 1/4 mile car I'd spend every penny on a big turbo and intercooler. Arizona Turbo has the best prices I've seen for turbos too (I'm not affiliated in any way).

Clifton, thanks for the tips.

I know the brake thing, on the Camaro I definately would get brake fad (duh), but on the Z I dont yet have enough tire, to handle even my current brakes. I need a bias valve because the rear is TOO POWERFULL, they slide and there is no way I can stand on my brakes, steel lines, 195/60 -15x7" setup, 300 treadwear, not enough grip. Someone else with 225 wide Kumho V700s said he could stand on the brakes with no problem, but those tires blown mine away.

400+ HP would be crazy power, was thinking of a T3/4 hybrid, part of the reason is I need to start with something that will fit the stock manifold... Long term, sure more power and monsterous wheel/tires would be great, but also I dont want to put myself in a car that is faster than me, I made that mistake with the Camaro jumping to nearly 500 HP, and it really cripples a driver with my experience level. People who haven't been on a track will likely never understand that until they do, if you want to learn how to be fast, then put your butt in a slow car, and you WILL learn to carry the car around the track, because any screw up will hurt your times in a big way, and it will teach you the line. Otherwise, I just end up doing a drag race, with some crappy cornering between my next WOT run... :)

i havent had time to run my car on the track lately -i am getting depressed from lack of speed.turbo car on track=no problem.i run union 76 nascar 110 with no intercooler.i run a stock 81 zxt in a 77z with 14 lbs boost=injectors are lucas disc type.o2 sensor runs at .85-rich enough.i hit about 125 or 130 at thill and 110 going into turn 10.dont bother with street tires on track-i tried that.a waste of money.just get the kumho's.the last well too-even ran to la and back on them.just make sure you have brakes you can torture.i floor it about 10' before the apex and dont really wind up the motor-you use the boost and let it pull.i run a 3.7 lsd with a 83 trans for close ratios.with a big turbo it might be harder to drive but i dont know about this since my motor is stock-constipated with small turbo.i have a stage 5 t3/60-1 t4 i will put on while tranny is out-but i might need new efi system .need to go into turn 1 at thill at about 155.

Thanks Randy, Len mentioned some of your setup too me. Turn 1 at 155 :o:o:o OMG, I want to see that :D

I am looking at a turbo car now (thanks Len), but it hasn't run in 6 years, its about the cost of a couple bags of dirt, but probably a bit of work to get it back running. He says the turbo was frozen up a bit but he was able to free it with his hands, so probably a rebuild of the turbo and some going over of the seals/internals for the engine. I am going to take a look at it in a couple hours, its not fully assembled (water pump off) but I suppose I'd have to tear it down anyway. I'd just about be getting the car for free, so I am pretty sure I'm going to go for it.

good parts car.the rear diff should be tight since it was hooked to an auto trans.if i was building a drag car i would run auto trans with turbo-works like cookies & milk.i got a parts zxt to build my 77.if it has been sitting long it will need new injectors or have the injectirs flushed and calibration checked.try coast fuel injection in san jose for injection clean & flow test.i usually prefer to buy new .the lucas injectors i run were $38 each new.

Thanks Randy. I figure I will just get new injectors, but I dont know what will work with the rail or what/how/who to go with for a custom rail to fit modern O ring injectors. I have NOT had a chance to dig through the 13 pages in this forum, because work has kept me busy. So until then its all a mystery, since I can't ask a question without searching first (and searching wont pull up some stuff without luck).

Guest Anonymous

Don't do your search until Sunday. The search feature on Hybridz has been messed up since the new site format began. It messed me up and I'm sure others as well. Not Dan's fault as I'm sure that this was a difficult migration. I'm kind of glad to see the new format. More up to date and added features. Here is a link to my question and Dan's comments:

Question on search engine

you can always go 2.9/3.0 bro just get some KA24 pistons and mill em down .019" they can take 15 psi too! and after milling them down they'll be perfect flat tops, and you get a performance increase.

Word of caution; magnaflux the block before buying the pistons to see if it can take the .120" / 3mm overbore to fit them =)

oh yeah, and a T3/T4 60 trim is an awesome roadrace turbo, you'll need bigger injectors (550cc at least) a fuel pump and an intercooler (npr is great just position it toward the passenger side and its a plumbers DREAM after a little cutting capping and welding)