HybridZ

hemiZ

stony

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, that picture gets around every other month or so... :D Its a old old smaller hemi (note the distributor in the rear not in the front like later motors) it does look neat, but not ALL hemi's are created equal IMHO, these older ones don't have anywhere near the HP later ones do.

Regards,

Lone

• 2 weeks later...

The early hemi`s had huge hp potential when supercharged. There was an artical a few years ago in hot rod about a guy in 61 or 62 who ran a low 9. 1/4 pass in a willy`s to set the record for his class. The NHRA later revoced the record, saying that his time was unrealistic. He retired that year and put the car into storage. In the early 90`s after owning a successful tool and die shop for 20+ years he decided to redeem himsef and his record.He updated the chassis to be current and legal and reconditioned the engine.After a couple practice passes(he had not been behind the wheel of a race car since his retirement) He went out and blew out a 7.48 2thumbs.gif Now that`s vindication hail.gifrockon.gif Throw a 6/71 on that hemi and hit the streets cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

Anyone know where I can find pics of this car, so far all I've seen is the engine bay, I know this car was once owned by someone in NC but that's all I could ever find out.

Guest John Adkins

The early Hemi's have lots of potential; they have ,of course, the hemi heads that flow very well and thick blocks with forged cranks. The

'56 Chrysler 354 Hemi (in the 300 series cars) with the "power pack" was rated at 340 HP stock while the 354 with fuel injection was rated at 355 HP stock. Pretty darn good for those days.... How much HP was the highest level stock Chevy small block rated at in 1956? :D;)

The later Hemi was designed as a race engine from the start... so of course it had higher horsepower ratings ... smile.gif

more early hemi info: http://www.classichemi.com/index1.shtml