HybridZ

source for turbo L28 header?

J Taylor

Somehow my turbo manifold has gotten warped....the fron 2 ports don't line up to the head worth a damn. I slotted the holes for the bolts a little to get me by but this can't be good at all for flow. Noone around can fix it and noone wants to attempt a turbo header. I have several more manifolds but I really don't want to go back to a stock one and I really don't want to port and jet hot another one....plus add the wastegate flange. I would really like to go ahead and spend the money for a real header. Does anyone actually make one to sell or is it going to be strictly a custom job??

JT

P.S. How the hell can a cast iron manifold get bent out of shape like this????

And I thought I was the only one. I drilled my junkyard motor's manifold for an EGT sensor and tried to remount it to the head... :confused: it wouldn't line up. I ended up reusing my old manifold that does seem to match head -- I couldn't figure out what was wrong with the other one - holes lined up, ports appeared to be in the right place...

Oh well, no help

• 4 weeks later...

the manifolds shrink from the heat and a lot of them cracked from uneven exhaust port temps from gas that had no injector cleaner add in early 80's.i have 2 besides the 1 on my car and 1 of them has been machined flat at by my machinest.i think cartech in texas makes a turbo header but it is bucks.

IMO, the warpage is due to running to lean, which jacks up you egt temps to levels they don't need to be.

Cartech has a manifold, but I believe last time I checked it, they wanted about 600 bucks for it.

Here is a little simple math for you. Take your injectors, if they are rated by CC, divide that number by 10.5 to get pounds per hour of flow. Multiply the number of injectors by pounds per hour to get the total fuel flow.

It takes .5 pounds of fuel per hour to generate one horsepower.

I will break the formula down based upon my setup.

420 cc injector dived by 10.5 equals 40 Lbs. per hour. Multiply that by 6 and you get 240 pounds of fuel per hour. Divide by .5 and you get 480 horsepower. That is the theorectical amount of horspower my car could support.

Since we know that injector duty cycles over 80 percent can cause problems, take 80 percent of 480 which is 384 horsepower. That is what I should be able to generate SAFELY at the flywheel.If I subtract 20 percent for driveline losses, that gives me 307 to the rear wheels which is what I dyno'd.

While this is a crude formulation, it kind of gives me some perspective that I am pretty close to maxing out my current injector, from a safety standpoint.

You can run thru this on your set-up and it should give you an idea if you are running out of injector. That is likely why you have a warped exhaust manifold.

I would not spend the money on the exhaust header manifold until I had my fuel delivery set-up straightened out, and you will have the same problem with your nice new expensive manifold.

BTW, if you are using a rising rate of gain FPR, that is not the way to get the job done. Get an AIC from HKS or somebody, or go to a stand alone with bigger injectors. One 50 lb per hour injector will give you another 100 horsepowers worth of fuel.

This is all IMO.

Anyone have pics of the Cartech one, is it setup to bolt on a commen external waste gate? What turbo flange is on it?

Why doesn't someone like MSA start mass producing these things and selling them for like $200? How much more expencive could a turbo header cost to make over a NA one? I'd think less since there is less metal. I can see having an external waste gate option being more. Is the main reason because people might want different sized flanges for the different turbos. I think a t3 flange would be just fine for the masses, making room for a hybrid compressor.

http://www.cartech.net/exhaustparts.html

Here is a link to their page. I believe the picture has one for a Z in it. Appears to be a T04 flange, although I am sure they can come up with whatever you want. Price is 700 bucks. Make sure you have fuel before throwing down that kind of money, or you will be one pissed off MOFO when that thing warps.

I have an old BAE one that is warped to hell and back that was on a regular ZX that Hesco built for a doctor here in Bham. According to Hurley, the car would run in the 11's, with stock ZX fuel injection set-up. I think he was talking about the 1/8th mile. :D

Good luck.

The Cartech piece is not a header. It is a modified turbo manifold set up for full TO4 flange.

I believe some of the high cost of a turbo header is that a quality one will be out of SS. Regular mild steel will not hold up well under the heat of turbo abuse.