HybridZ

Ceramic vs. Stainless Hooker Headers? thermo tradeoffs?

OK, in line with my other ongoing recent exhaust threads including moving collector via welding or custom flange adaptor

Best quite freer flowing combo

I'm now wondering if I'm best to return/trade my new painted Hooker headers for the ceramic or stainless steel version? I saw on Long's that his ceramic ones had a single coating location nickel sized flake off.....anyone with feedback on their coating durability.....

And other issue is the thermo characteristics of stainless.....ceramic coating does keep heat in the air to get it out via the exhaust and keep it out of the engine bay......is stainless similar at all? Seems to me it would be quite a bit hotter in the engine bay which I don't want.....all feedback welcome!

Guest Anonymous

IMO coatings will come off, eventually. The h

igher heat with stainless makes sense... but maybe with the stainless you can use the thermal wrap without the same corrosion consequences? confused2.gif

If you don't want to buy them or coat them again, I would get the stainless ones. If you really want the heat rejection performance of the coating, have the stainless ones coated. My brother's seldom driven '68 Camaro has coated Dynomax headers and they are REALLY rusty. I'm not at all impressed.

Guest zfan

I ran Sanderson ceramic coated headers for three years with no rust at all! I now have full lengthe hooker super comp headers ceramic coated from hooker and no problems yet!

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Jet Hot will coat your headers and give them a lifetime warranty. I am sending my Nismo header to them. $175.

Stainless will deteriorate wrapped, it just takes longer.

Mike

If you are not turbocharged, then I am not sure of the benefit of the ceramic coating. I am sure it helps, but no to the extent it would help a turbo engine.

I would go the jet hot route, get the lifetime warranty, and keep all my paperwork, and when and if that stuff flakes off, send it back and make them fix it right.

Thats my .02

Guest Anonymous
Originally posted by Shock96:

Jet Hot will coat your headers and give them a lifetime warranty. I am sending my Nismo header to them. $175.

Stainless will deteriorate wrapped, it just takes longer.

Mike

Jet Hot is the only way to go. If your gonna do something you might as well do it the best you can.

About 5 years ago I had the same issue, painted header, stainless steel or ceramic coated. After talking to a number of people I went with taking the new header to a shop that specialized in the ceramic coating process. $90 & 5 days later I got it back and they buffed it out to a OK shine which has not dulled. No chips or rust and is way I would for looks, durability and heat transfer IMO.