HybridZ

question for fun....

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

how would one go about having a mini-explosion (fire and all) coming out the exhaust? having it run really rich with a whole lot of power? nitrous? do tell, i think it would be a cool effect. not like in the movie "grease" where the scorpions have a flame thrower pointing backwards, but in between shifts, like a little flame "pop".

Guest Anonymous

well, based on my limited knowledge, you could run it rich, shove a sparkplug back there, and drill a few 1/4 inch holes about 6 inches before the exhaust exit, with the sparkplug right before those vent holes. that should make some pretty flames. but id much rather have a full-on flamethrower there. imagine how you could ditch the cops!

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

you'd really have to have a spark plug rigged to the exhaust to get a mini-flame? damn, i thought it would be a little easier...can't it happen when you're gunning WOT and then let off to shift? like something having to do with the vacuum? i'm just thinking out loud here, but i could swear i read about this somewhere.

As far as I know if you are ever caught with a deliberate igniting device in your exhaust system (ie. a spark plug) it is a huge fine and possible loss of the vehicle.

As far as the race cars putting flames out the exhaust I believe (but could be wrong) that the cars run a rich fuel mixture to get more top end power and when they let off the accelerator raw fuel is pulled through the engine then ignites in the very hot exhaust system causing those really awsome flames. Most of the rest of us only get enough fuel in the exhaust to cause a backfire but no flames.

Dragonfly

I used to get flames out of my Z when I first had it. The reason is that the carbs had been tuned to run extremely rich, but at the same time it ran horribly and was hardly driveable. It was pretty cool while it lasted, especially at night, but driving at low speeds was no fun.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so only racecars can do it?! damn, i was hoping for some flames out the pipe, ahh well, just taking wannabe racers and rolling them up and smoking them will have to be good enough!

Guest Anonymous

also, you dont HAVE to have a spark plug back there, but it makes it ignite easier. the holes are to feed the fuel some fresh oxygen so it burns brighter. but also keep in mind that old, brittle exhaust systems cant take the heat from that and could sag or even partially melt, not to mention that catalytic converters hate any fuel in the system, but i guess pre-74 don't matter.

haha, its funny you ask. I've been wanting to make mine STOP doing that for several months now. I can't tell you exactly why mine does it though. I have a '77 280z that i think is running pretty rich, but not fouling out plugs or anything. It pops, gurgles and shoots flames (my girlfriend has followed behind and seen them, and i can see them light up the night behind me) whenever i do full-off-throttle decelleration from 3000rpm or higher and sometimes when i push the clutch in.

Here is what i have that might be the cause...Big Bore throttle body, headers/2.5" exhaust, missing BPT valve and unplugged EGR, all other emission crap is on and working (i think), possibly faulty fuel pressure regulator running too rich (or could just be too big of a throttle body?), XR700 electronic ignition, 8mm plug wires, electric fan, stock cam and head and short block. Oh, and no unnatural ignition (exhaust mounted spark plug), its just the hot headers doing it. it doesn't do it so much now that it is colder out.

i've been wanting to post some pics, but haven't gotten someone to drive with my girlfriend so she can take a digital pic. and i have no way of posting movies, sorry.

Hope this helps.

Pat.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

daaaaamn, so maybe it's better that my car doesn't ignite? it would still be cool though...pulling on somone and giving them a little present of fire...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey breeze77z this might sound wierd but I had a header leak at the port closest to the firewall, right behind the stud/nut... for the second time!!! I was not about to take it out and re-seated so in a desperate attempt to quiet that anoying pst, pst, pst.... I put JB weld and covered the hairline gap and presto problem solved. The JB weld turned black but it's still strong and it's been there for about six months now.

The flame out the back thing is caused by a rich-to-lean transition. In the cases mentioned, it was due to the mixture changing when you go from WOT to closed throttle.

A rich mixture, by itself, cannot burn in the exhaust pipe. By definition, if it's rich, there is no oxygen left to burn the fuel with.

On many fuel injected cars, when the throttle is lifted, the injectors are turned off, and the mixture goes dead lean. If there was a hot, rich mixture in the exhaust from before (such as what you are likely to see at WOT), it now has oxygen to allow it to burn.

The idea with the air vent in the tailpipe followed by a spark plug would work, for the same reason.

Guest BadKarmaCreepin

so on a fi car, especially one with a monster turbo strapped to it, a lot of fuel (rich) is better when running wot (no detonation)? so then just letting off the gas OR shifting (basically the same) would produce the mini fireball? hmmmmmm...not as difficult as wiring a spark plug...

Guest Ziggy Vulcan

I don't think it's what you're looking for, but Auto Loc makes an exaust flamethrower system that it claimes can shoot flames at the push of a button up to 20 feet! :eek:

I'm gonna go try to find the website.

Guest Ziggy Vulcan

Found it.

http://www.autoloc.com/detail.lasso?itemid=FLAME

Auto Loc makes some cool door and window stuff, too. I want to put a power door and window system in my Z from them.

Personally, 20 feet is a little dangerous. Note the disclaimer on the page. "For offroad use only. Auto Loc is not responsible for any property damage or injury due to the use of this product."

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Originally posted by BadKarmaCreepin:

so on a fi car, especially one with a monster turbo strapped to it, a lot of fuel (rich) is better when running wot (no detonation)? so then just letting off the gas OR shifting (basically the same) would produce the mini fireball? hmmmmmm...not as difficult as wiring a spark plug...

Depends on how much fuel got dumped into the exhaust, but yes - especially if you have it set for fuel cutoff on high vacuum.