HybridZ

cant hear secondarys coming in!

z ya

I cant figure out if they are coming in or not?

I car is very fast but it almost feels like they

sec's never open up or are not fully. The carb is

a 3310 holley out of the box. I am thinking I

might need to get the quick change kit to play with the sucker. I feel like I am in the same boat

as BLK MGK now!

Guest tom sixbey

im not familiar with the 3310. If its a vac secondary, play with the 2ndary diaphram springs - they sell several different springrates, and you'll have to custom set it for your engine's airflow capacity and transmission type. If its a mechanical linkage, it'll open while its running just about the same as it opens when it's off the car. in either case, just take the air cleaner off for a minute, operate the throttle by hand, and watch. If it is straight out of the box as you say, it should be set up to operate fairly normally, but check anyway and ajust for performance... hope i havent insulted your intelligence! - have fun with it.

Tom

This is a tough problem to diagnose with your pants seat. A properly operating secondary system will not be felt. It may be the the diapham may be ruptured, thus the vacuum signal is not "sealed". A quick, but strong blip of the throttle while the engine is running can many times just barely get the secondary to start to open. But you have to get some real air moving to do this, so don't expect to see the secondary move unless you get to a high rpm to see this. Also a plugged circuit to the diapham, and lastly, and very commonly, a too large a carb will be a cause of no secondary action. Is the 3310 one of the old 780 designs?

Like BlueOval said the secondary's should not be felt. Typically if your FEEL them opening, you are FEELING the bog cause by them opening to fast (I believe).

The secondaries shouldn't open with the car in park/neutral by just revving the engine (a no load-vacuum sorta thing)

You've got two options to check if the secondaries are opening.

A) Put a paper clip on the secondary shaft just below the vacuum pod, take it out for a drive and check the location of the paper clip. If its in the middle of the shaft (between the base plate and the vacuum pod) then they have opened. If its still in the same position, well you get the idea.

OR ;)

B) Get a friend, brother-in-law or neighbor to ride under the hood and watch the secondaries as you race the car through the neighborhood.

Guest Anonymous

I usually hear mine more than feel it. Its a delayed Baaaaawwwaaaaahhhhhh sound in the intake. :D Of course the scenery goes by a bit faster too I've noticed...

Regards,

Lone

Yup, same boat as me and I'm still carbed it seems. 750 same as me too, not sure on the model #. Try the clip trick with something like a bread tie but don't cinch it too tight. My secondaries are NOT opening near as I can tell - 300RWHP on the primaries only (grr). Figure out if they're NOT working first, then monkey with them otherwise you might screw it up worse. bonk.gif

I've always been a Holley man, but my 2 x 4 set-up uses a couple of 500 AFBs. I really like the secondary system on them, (it's kinda like points vs electronic ignition), the AFB secondary is too simple for anything to go wrong, and you can actually see them pivot slightly with WOT blips.

Guest kc6wfs

I switched from the 3310 to a 600DP and made a world of differance with my car.

I played with springs and everything, but could not get it to open good.

Hope this helps..

Dave

cheers.gif

I had a 750 edelbrock on my 355 and it was ok but some of the local sbc power freaks said I was losing serious power by staying with the edelbrock.

They all said Holley 700 or 750 double pumper if you are into serious power. Tried the Holley 750 double pumper with factory deleted choke and four corner idle. It was hard to get just right and am still making final adjustments but WOW!!

Power seems to really come on when mechanical secondaries come open. Now gas mileage does suck but hey I didnt build it for a daily commuter..HE! HE! Anyway my swap so they say is worth 20 plus horses but who really knows?

zfan..Mike 2thumbs.gif

Many times I hear where folks say the DP works better than the VS. This has always confused me because in theory, the VS should only operate when the additional mixture it provides is needed. And thus it should be able to maintain the vacuum signal and carb "size" at a more optimum level than my foot ever could using a DP. Any comments?

Guest JAMIE T

It has always seemed to me that VC carbs are better suited for heavy cars. Our cars are light enough that when we mash the throttle, they just go. Heavy cars can't move from a stop like our cars can(even heavy cars that are faster). VC carbs are great for big block Chevelles, but our cars run better with DP's. V8Z's can take advantage of the DP throttle response.