HybridZ

engine squealing

ok...here's my dilemma

i have a 240z with a L28 in it

when i start the car, everything seems good

however, when the engine temp has risen about halfway to its normal operating temp, a loud squealing noise becomes apparent from the front of the engine somewhere

i've replaced the alternator, fuel pump, and water pump (all things i needed to do anyway) but the noise is still there

i have no idea what else it could be

i did just install a brand new edelbrock carburator on my car but i seriously doubt that it is the problem

especially since the noise seems to be coming from the front

do u guys have any ideas???

on a seperate note...i thought i heard somewhere that the early stock oil pumps are prone to failure

is this true?

and if so, what's a good replacement for it

thx a bunch

Sounds like a Mystery....as Sherlock Holmes once said, "Remove all the obvious answers to the mystery and the only logical possibilities remaining would be the not so obvious (paraphrased, of course).

So what could it possibly be that is "not so obvious"? You already said that the noise is coming from the front of the engine.

Do you still have the A/C compressor on the car? If the A/C compressor has a belt on it then the compressor's idler bearing is being utilized; even if you dont use the A/C...the bearing is turning if the engine is running. When the A/C's engagement clutch idler bearing goes bad it will sould just like the idler pulley after all, it is also an idler pulley...the only difference is that it is housed in the Compressors Engagement CLutch. I'ld check that next.

I dont know how your fan belts are arranged, but if you can remove that fan belt to the A/C compressor and then run your car around the block a time or two; I'ld bet you will have solved your problem! :cool:

One last possibility is your belts are burned. Once they warm up they squeal. So, check your belts and make sure they are not cracked & glazed. If they are, the replace them while you are isolating the A/C Compressor.

Let us know when you solve this mystery; this is

truly one I have not come across, till now.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Does it sound sort of like a bird chirping or is it a constant, steady squeal.

I had a blown head gasket once that caused a constant, steady squeal when the engine got hot.

I also had a timig chain tensioner that was worn down to bare metal and it caused a chirping sound that varied with the RPM of the engine.

thx for the ideas guys

i don't have air conditioning on my car, so that's definitely not the problem

i just replaced the belt too and the squealing is still there, so that's not the problem either

the head gasket sounds like a good possibility though

when i put the new four barrel on my car, i wasn't exactly sure how to hook up the various ventilation hoses from the engine

i ended up hooking up the port on the top of the valve cover (the one that's suppost to get fresh air from the air filter) to the intake manifold

i just discovered that was totally wrong

i figure maybe some gas or something might have gotten into the valve cover and upset something

so i think that will be the next place i look

thx again

i'll keep u all posted

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

That port your hooked up won't hurt anything and isn't wrong. Thats a vent to pull blow-by (combusted gases that got by the rings) out of the crankcase through the valve cover. No gas can get through there unless you hooked the fuel line to the valve cover which would be very unlikely given the size difference in pipe. You say you changed the belt, but how tight is it? A loose belt or pulleys that are glazed a bit will cause that noise as well. Just thought I'd point that out if theres much deflection in the belt or you see it running and its really moving around alot instead of following a straight path to the pulley as its running then its to loose. Just a thought. Good luck with it.

Regards,

Lone

Ps: Is it a manual trans car? Does it do it with the clutch pushed in? If so maybe a throw out bearing?

• 2 years later...

Hummm, mine is doing this now also. I replaced the water pump today and it still sounds like squeeking and scraping coming from the front of the engine. I assume it's either the timing chain or a bearing got spun. I'm gonna give up on the 280 engine and go ahead with my swap. I really didn't want to do it during the fall and winter, I hate the cold.

• 4 weeks later...

I know i'm gonna cop HEAPS for this, but, I had/have a horrible squeeling noise coming from the front of my 280zx, and it was the belts. I managed to get rid of the noise by (this is where i get flamed) spraying CRC, a lube, on the inside of the belts. The noise always seems to make its way back when its cold and wet, however, it stops people staring at my car like its dying.

I guess my belts are on their way out? Well they are now after spraying CRC on them......

I bet it's the little hamster that runs in the wheel in the #1 cylinder of the 280 engine. He has to run fastest because he's first and he'll complain if you go too fast.

Get a V8 and throw that hamster cage away.

(Just kidding, the 280 is a very versitile and reliable engine, capable of spanking a good v8 if set up right.)

It sounds like a bearing, but try to go to a lower or higher viscosity oil and see if it sounds the same at the same RPM, truely it should sound different or occur at a different RPM with different oil. Also check for shavings in the oil.