HybridZ

Waking up after 15 years................

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hey Folks;

I'm wonderin what it's going to take to get sleeping beauty back in the grooooove.

She was put to rest 15+ years back clean.In a dry unheated garage.

Her oil was freshened and over filled, fuel tank

topped up (no additives), Coolant drained & left empty,Remaining fluids have approx 12k miles on them. The 240 was left on the ground "no support"

and she was zipped up in a carjacket with a few disaccant bags inside to soak up excessive moisture.

Every year or two the bag was opened and the disiccant bags were oven dried,the engine was lubed with the preluber pump and the crank was turned manually.

What am I looking at to put a smile back on both our faces.

Ron E b_hand.gif

Guest livewire23

get rid of that gas before doing anything else. Otherwise its gonna gum up the carbs, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel.... etc... you get the point. I've never seen good old fuel. If you dont want to drain the whole tank, drain a little and take a whiff. When I got my Z, the gas didnt smell like gas. While You're at it, you might look at changing the filters. Oil filter, fuel filter, etc... Then make sure to lube the cylinders before cranking it. Also take a look at all fluids, and if any are an odd colors, bleed em and replace the fluid. dont forget to check brake fluid n stuff while you're at it. Then check the tire pressure. Once you've done all that, search the forum for posts on what to do when cranking the engine the first time so you dont score the cylinder walls.

Good Luck

-Kito

Yup, lose the gas. I would have the tank cleaned at a radiator shop. Flush the fuel lines with Berryman B12. Easiest way is to fill the fuel line up with B12, then block off at tank and top it off. Let it sit for a couple of hours then just flush fresh gas through it. Replace the fuel filter that you removed in order to flush the fuel lines, with a new one.

You are going to have to go through the carbs. As in the other forums I saw some posts, buy the book. Buy the book. Buy the book. www.motorbooks.com

Drain the oil. Pull the plugs. Liberally douse the cylinder with WD40. Then again after 10 minutes and again 10 minutes later, and allow to sit overnight. Rotate crank bolt with a wrench to make sure rotates freely. Reinstall drain plug.

Pull the valve cover, and pour 1/2 quart of oil over the cam, follower, springs, everything you can get to. Reinstall valve cover. Refill crankcase.

With the plugs out crank the engine over with the starter until you verify oil pressure on the gauge. You may want to install a mechanical gauge temporarily during this stage.

Once you verify oil pressure, go ahead and check for spark. Now is a good time to replace and adjust the points, get a new cap and rotor, and some plug wires if any fail an ohmeter test. Then check for fuel if you've got the carbs back on and the freshly cleaned tank with no more than 2 or 3 gallons of suitably stabilized fuel. Sometimes it takes longer to get things running than we would like and you would hate for the gas to go bad AGAIN before you finished.... :rolleyes:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Mike;

This "berrymans B12" what is it and where can I get it ?

as well do you think the gaskets and seals may have softened ?

Check my post in the Datsun L6 perf.forum,its quite a build and I want to make sure I cover all the bases.

Thanks Ron :b_hand:

:2thumbs:

Actually you might have to rebuild the carbs! All of the seals in them are probably dry as a bone! I remember when I bought a 1979 Toyota Pick up 2 years ago just as a beater to run around in the woods with, I had to rebuild the carb because the truck had been sitting so long that the gaskets were all dried out and wouldn't seal. :( It was a learing experience thats for sure!

Anyways good luck with the car!

Guy

Guest livewire23

hey, since we're on the topic anyway....

I shamefully did not full heed this advice in my hurry to get my Z running, and only flushed the fuel lines after a week of pushing that nasty gas through the system. I finally flushed the tank, and used an air compressor to blow through the lines, and also installed some clear fuel lines after the fuel filter and on the return segment. But I think that nasty gas has trashed something. I still cant rev past 3500 RPM, and once with a slightly more empty tank, and sitting on a slight incline, I couldnt really start the engine at all. (would start and die). When I look at my return line, it had nothing but air in it. The damn system wasnt maintaining pressure. Its not the FPR, its been tested repeatedly, so it must be the fuel pump or a fuel filter choking the fuel line. So that is my warning to you, DO NOT USE BAD GAS. It will cause a nightmare. Of course things are simpler with carbs, but it still aint a good idea.

Guest Anonymous

I'm wondering the same thing Jim, I'm little worried as well about the

little bit that always gets left behind. I'm going to see the car in a few weeks ( 11hour drive northwest ) I'll give it a very thorough going over,

but make no attempt to fire it up.

I've got a lot of work to do just to get it ready after 15+ years in bed!

Check out the build details in the datsun L6 performance forum,( "Potential Buy...... Feb 17"), Accepting all advice on bringing this Z back to life. I'll post some photos as soon as I can. This is a real nice ride !!

Ron E

Thanks for all the

Advice Everyone!! :b_hand:

• 2 weeks later...

Along with WD40 in the cylinders, I'd take off the valve cover and drop some oil on the chain/gears and over the cam as well.

I'm going to be doing something similar, to a car thats sat for a handfull of years, good luck to us both!