HybridZ

bigest wheels and tiers for 240Z

Guest mattgil

Thats a pretty loaded question.

with a stock suspension, i stuffed some 245/45/16's on my car.. they cleared the suspension by 3/4", but did not clear my stock fenders (car was lowered as well.

Offset of the rims will determine if they will fit. Too much backspace, and they will hit the suspension,... too little, and they will stick out...

Some have stuffed 255's on 17's in stock fender with coilovers.... without... not much over 235...

Guest mattgil

what kind of tire could i fit if i got the IMSA fender flares from motorsport auto and go with a small backspacing what do u think size tire i could fit with like the smallest backspacing that work with the flares and everything

a 225/60/14 will fit on a stock Z. I ran that size with the 280zx 6 spoke rims for many years, on my seriously lowered 280... no probs..no flares either.

MSA sells several different sizes of flares. They have as wide as 3" flares I think, and ought to give you another 2" or so of clearance. Depending on the style of flare, you may not be able to run the tire out to the edge of the flare..It may curve down, and not clear the tire. I would suspect a 265 or so wide tire should fit in their largest flares, though I have not seen them on a car that uses very wide tires.

• 1 year later...

265's will fit on all four corners with zg flares on rims with a negative 19 offset and a stock suspension. The front clearence is very very tight. I would not run more than a 245 on the front for the street though. John Coffey had 275/45/16 Hoosier's which are 11.6 inches (= to a 295) wide and 25.2 inches tall with zg flares. If you search you might find out his specs. He used coilovers with that size tire.

225 on all four corners with out flares or coilovers on a 0 offset rim works. That is a lot of tire for a light weight car.

275/40-17. The right offset is key. You do need coil overs with 8" tall springs though.

Very interesting.....got pics? I'm currently running 235-40 x 17 on 9" wide wheels on the rear, with coilovers/ 8" springs. Struts have been shortened 1.5". I have approx 1/8" clearance between the inside edge of the wheel and the strut tube and if I put on a tire wider than 235mm I would certainly rub the inside of the rolled fender lip. Would like to see pics of your setup...maybe I'll learn something!

Clifton, I checked out the pic of your rear tire/wheel setup. Your Z sits, what looks about, 1" to 1 1/2" higher than My 240. Now I see how they would fit. On my setup, the top of the 234-40 x 17 sit abpout even with the fender opening. What rate springs are you running in the rear?

What about 17" rims on a stock 240, can you tell me anything about spec'ing the right rim? I'd hate to order new rims and find out they don't fit...
sorry just a pet peeve, they are "WHEELS" not "RIMS" I got that beat into my brain by a "Wheel" distributor years ago and it drive me crazy now, also the poeple taht call them "Rims" tend to be 16 and you can see their underware above their pants

no offence, just my own nutty issues